Author Topic: Front Clip  (Read 5625 times)

Offline Legend732

• Kris Krabill Racing
Front Clip
« on: July 26, 2016, 12:39:38 am »
I am new and just bought a car and noticed the left top rail is very slightly bent and base plate the steering rack and pinion is sitting on is slightly tweaked.  Do I need to replace the clip or ????  Thanks

Funny car driver looking to race a Legend

Offline ZForceRacing01

Re: Front Clip
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 02:04:48 am »
I will answer this in two parts. As for the steering rack, they sell a rack straightener, I think it's $50. Basically its two pieces of steel that squish the plate straight. It wont be perfect, but good enough to get your measurements right again. Make sure your bump steer is right. Your tire rods and lower control arms should be at about the same angle. They do sell thicker rack plates now, but if your not bending the rack plate, something more important might be bending.   

As for the clip, I have heard as long as the bend is beyond all your suspension points, it shouldn't effect the handling of the car.

Senior guys can help me with this, not 100% sure.

But, I'll say this. If I just bought a car and I'm not racing it until next season. I would want to start fresh with everything right.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 04:49:11 am »
Yep. Couple steel plates and some bolts. You can make your own rack plate straightener.
People will go rounds over bent clip. Some say a slight bend helps; Others say a bent is bad. Guess you would need to drive it as is and judge for yourself.
You may be able to straighten it somewhat. I will leave that to the experts as well.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legend732

• Kris Krabill Racing
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:00:44 am »
Thanks guys for the input.  Really appreciate it and will look into plate.
Funny car driver looking to race a Legend