Author Topic: Been a while since anyone has posted a Sponorship thread. I have some questions.  (Read 7892 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

I'm curious of how you approach these guys. I don't mind talking to people but as soon as I even think about asking them for some type of sponsorship I feel like I'm asking for a handout.

So what is the normal process of dealing with a business where you don't know the management? Do walk in cold and ask to speak to the management or owner and introduce yourself?

Mail a letter, and then come in later and say hello?

I'm just curious of the process. If you know a good book or website that can help with this.

I'm also curious of what kind of obligations you make for a season sponsor?

I know the common thing is their name on the car, a photo, parking the car in front of the shop for a day or two. what is the least amount of money acceptable for what I just described?   

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
Great question. it would be interesting to see what some do for help.

Thanks,
Robert

Offline ZForceRacing01

Apparently those are close kept secrets, lol.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
I've only had success with people/business that I know.

Basically no success sending random letters/emails to people that don't know me. I'm not saying it's not worth trying but I wouldn't spend to much time on it. Start with people you know first.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
As DJ suggests, start with people you know. Easier to deal with people you know to get started. Ask businesses that you deal with regularly.
Ethan had a fun idea awhile back; He sold a spot for friends/ family names on his hood. You can fit quite a few names on that little hood!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline hooligan4563

We have had luck contacting businesses that had no personal attachment to us or to racing in general. We contact them through email/social media and offer to bring a package down to them to look over and see what we can do for them. The biggest thing is to realize it is the racer's job to bring value to the deal. A sticker on the car is a must, but won't get you the sponsorship. Having the car at their ship is good, but depending on the business that also might not get you anywhere. you need to generate an on-line presence, web sites, social media, to help spread the word about the sponsor. you need to be at tracks in the sponsor's area, and you need to do your best to promote them wherever you are. We pass out samples and sponsor merchandise at the tracks, put the sponsor logo on all handouts (photos, swag), take the car to multiple shows in addition to the shows we do at teh sponsor location, promote sponsor events on multiple web sites and social media, give them photos, magnets, stickers, etc to pass out at their store and at the events they go to (i.e. trade shows) where the car might not be there.

The key is understand everythign you are capable of doing, and make sure all that is included in a formal, professional looking sponsor packet. Then, if they are interested in learning more, shine yourself up and get to their place of business or meet at a suitable location face to face. Present yourself like you are already on the clock repping for their company - be outgoing, engaging, and be ready to talk about the car, race team, how you can help their business, and why you think they are a good fit. For example, I have had 2 sponsors on the car for several years. One is a dog rescue out of Alabama, one is a small batch dog treat manufacturer here in NH. the local race series here is  sponsored by a craft brewery based in NH. When a local store opened with a dog as a mascot and they specialized in micro-brew beers, I approached them showing how I could tie in the other sponsors and increase their visibility at the track AND through mutual contacts. They signed up for the next 2 years.

As far as $$$, I always say something is better than nothing. I charge more for the "good" areas on the car, and if the sponsor pays more I will do more for them (extra car shows, off-season promotions, etc). but the $$$ should not be where you start the conversation. Once they are hooked and want to go to the next level, tell them "I usually get $x for this area of the car, but I want to make this work for you and we can come up with a plan that fits your budget".

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline blazedog5

Thanks for that link, it is a great article and will help when talking to potential sponsors.  We run a Bando and were lucky enough to get a business to sponsor us (ORR PEST CONTROL, through a prior friendship).  I think it worked for both parties as we were able to relay some jobs to them, and we def were able to use the dollars!!  This year we are gonna try harder to partner with others if possible. 

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
ROI (return on investment).
I have sponsored a lot of racers, and very often it is for one year only because I get nothing in return from them.
Hell, half of them in the last 2 years never made a single contact with me after they got their sponsorship, and I even had one that NEVER HIT THE TRACK!.

Act professional! Don't send random Facebook messages at 1:00 am saying "hey, I got a car", and expect me to respond...and send me another "hey" message a week later.
Don't tell me you need money to buy a race car...so does everyone else.

Sell your sponsors product! That is #1, at least in my opinion. 

Example 1: I secured a sponsorship last year from a landscaping company, F&S Enterprises in Hubertus WI ( outdoordreamers.com ). My niece works at a local car wash. I asked her about their plowing contractor...they were looking for a new one. I gave her my new sponsor's phone number to give to her boss, and 24 hours later my sponsor had a contract that was worth 5 times their investment in me. Guess what....they came to me this year and asked me if they could sponsor me again.

Example 2: I am sponsoring a 410 Sprint car in 2016. It's going to cost me more than what it would cost me to sponsor 8 Legends cars. I blew all of my budgeted advertising dollars on this one guy. Why am I doing it? Communication and sales.
His goal, not a promise, but a goal, is to generate sales to at least cover what I have invested in his operation....
He requested price lists to hand out at the track.
He requested a display to keep in his trailer to show the other racers what I have to offer.
He sends out a weekly email with racing updates to friends, family, and sponsors.

All easy stuff, but stuff that 96% of the people that want sponsorship will not do.

JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/