Author Topic: Asphalt tire hardness question?  (Read 10292 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Asphalt tire hardness question?
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:52:06 pm »
I don't mean to advertise but this is relevant. Nick Pistone is offering cut tires mounted and balanced for $459 a set.

I can run all my intended races this year on two sets. I have been cautioned not to buy my sets too early or they will get hard and be junk. Since I would be saving $100 a set I would like to buy two sets now. Any reason why' these tires wouldn't still be good late in the season?

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Asphalt tire hardness question?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:02:34 pm »
That's not really any "special" deal. You can buy a cut set of tires around that amount from most places.
Yes; You can buy the tires in advance. It's how you store them that helps to preserve them.
There have been several threads on tire storage. Store tires in dark plastic bags. Store in a cool, dry environent.
Stay away from storing in extreme cold or hot environments. A few other tips in some of the threads. Do a quick search.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:14:29 am »
Seems like a good deal to me. Most guys are getting $30 a tire to cut and if you don't have a mounting machine then there is that extra cost. Nick has never done me wrong but I know some people have there favorite cutters.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:30:45 am »
Don't know what you guys pay in the Great North Steve but down here the going rate is just under $600 for a set of Federals, cut mounted and balanced.

I will look into your tire storage info though.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 09:37:30 am »
I stand corrected. Guess I am not up on the current cost of tires.
Sorry!

Steve

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 05:48:05 pm »
My guess is that these tires are 2014 tires, and not 2015. That would be the only reason he would sell them that cheap. Each tire costs him $99 (he's not a dealer, so no price break) meaning he is offering the cut job for $15/ea. That is well below what is common, and as he is likely paying someone to run the machine, he would be making next to nothing. My guess is he is trying to unload old tires... Nothing wrong with that on his part, but I would be sure you find out before you buy.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 05:48:20 am »
Brad as you know a lot of guys down there get tires at a dealer price. There is not dealer per-say just USLC so they cut a lot of the big teams the same deal that your local dealer gets. This is why it is important to support your local dealer.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 06:45:35 am »
Spoke to Nick on the phone. He said we will get the latest tires he has. The last he cut were week 40's. US legends is selling week 40's right now. I spoke to another dealer and he said Nick has been out of the game for a while so he is probably trying to re drum up business. These prices probaly won't last long.

Offline knoxracing

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 03:53:15 pm »
He does not have to be a dealer to get special pricing on tires. MOST of the set up shops in N.C. are on a program with USLC. Its A tier program based on the amount annually purchased.  Believe me when I tell you this!!!!!!!! I will not say what they are paying for parts, but its a pretty good deal.
DENNIS KNOX
Buckeye Legends
Official USLC Dealer - Ohio
330-310-9212

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 06:59:04 am »
It's Nick Pistone. I may be new to this game but I have known that last name before I ever thought about getting involved with legends. Pretty sure the Pistones have been in the legends game since the 90's.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:17:34 pm »
He's been in the game a long time.
Prices that I see seem as fair as any from him.
He didn't manage  to do well in the Winter Nationals.

Steve

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 04:05:49 pm »
I got my tires from Nick yesterday. Seems like a pretty cool guys. Got two sets cut and mounted for $918. He did not balance, he said he only balances his own tires if he is going to a 3/8 mile or bigger track. No big deal for the price.

Most importantly he does not intend to raise his prices. $459 for legends, $399 for Bando. He has his reasons for selling so cheap that are not my place to say. In the end I guess we will all benefit.

Here is his info-Nsane Grip by Nick Pistone (704) 456-8277

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 06:29:35 pm »
Congrats John!
Sounds like you will have all your ducks in a row come race time.

Steve

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 08:03:43 pm »
Thanks Steve.

anything