Author Topic: Ever heard of scaling your car with bathroom scales?  (Read 7148 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Ever heard of scaling your car with bathroom scales?
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:37:51 am »
I'm trying to get everything together to start racing next season. Gathering everything I need has been little more troublesome than I thought. One thing I would like to have is set of scales. But there not be money in the budget for scales for this season.
A friend of mine informed me back in the 90’s they scaled their late model with high quality bathroom scales? He said the numbers were fairly close and gave them what they needed. He said as light as our cars are it shouldn’t be an issue.
What do you guys know about this. If you do can you give me a link on how this is done?
Lastly I am quite aware race scales will be more accurate, but If I can get close I think I would be happy. At least until I can afford scales.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Ever heard of scaling your car with bathroom scales?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:08:39 am »
The first car I bought came with a set of scales like that. They were 4 bathroom scales, with a fabricated tri-pod type of rig for each one, as you would not be able to see the weight with the tire on the scale pad. I did not find them to be all that accurate, and ditched them for a nice used set of scales for $600.
You can get new scales for as little as $1000
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 09:22:52 am »
Hi John,

Been awhile since I have seen the bathroom scales used. As I recall, you need the "big boy" scales (450#-500#), As Jim pointed out, there was some kind of tripod rig that sat on the scales. Perhaps you could make due with a wheel load checker  http://www.speedwaymotors.com/DECO-Hydraulic-Wheel-Load-Checker-0-600-Lbs,32517.html  about $190 from speedway motors while you save to buy a set of scales,
. Just sayin'. You want something that will give repeatable results.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline GriffinBrownRacing

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:06:24 am »
Bathroom scales work fine if you can find heavy enough ones!!
We used them for 4 years in Quarter Midgets and were pretty good!!
Take your total weight of all 4 scales.
 then add your right front and left rear together and devide that by your total weight .
This gives you your cross weight

Offline chris26

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 09:58:53 pm »
Thanks guys I will see where the bank roll comes in toward the begining of the season.
I know long acre and intercomp are big names, anyone to stay away from.
What about Proform? Seen a guy selling a set of ProForm scales for $400??
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous