Author Topic: Racing Costs  (Read 11819 times)

Offline JCampbell_0801

Racing Costs
« on: October 15, 2014, 06:01:29 pm »
Hey everybody, my name is Jason, and I had some questions about Bandolero racing. I live near Atlanta Motor Speedway, and I'm looking to get my 9 year old son into a car but I'm trying to narrow down the actual costs involved so that I can budget for it. I've done some research on the car and have a general understanding of how it works and what the car itself costs. I'm trying to figure out exactly what costs I can expect on a weekly (per race) basis and a monthly basis depending on the number of races run. I'm talking about tires, fuel, set up, maintenance and entry fee costs to be exact. Thanks for your time and help. I really appreciate it.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Racing Costs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 09:51:31 pm »
Hi Jason,
Welcome to the site!
Racing costs will depend on how deep your pockets are and where and when you plan to race. As far as local costs (above cost of the car, trailer, racing gear) usually $25-$50 per race day for track fee.  Don't forget to figure in the cost of INEX membership fee. Fuel; figure a tank of gas for the car. Tires; Depends on how fast you burn them up. Budget for 2-3 sets for the season at the minimum. Figure in cost for a spare engine so that you are not out because of an engine failure and have to wait for the engine to come back from the shop (sealed engine program. can't do much work on them yourself). Up side is the shop is located in Charlotte and is near to you. Figure on some spare bumpers, gear sets, valve springs. Check out Ed's site at www.bandostuff.com. There is some great info on buying a car and other info on maintenance as well. Message me if I can help you with info on the site or if I can help in any other way.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JCampbell_0801

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 10:04:59 am »
Thanks for the info, Steve. I had actually visited that website a few months ago, and purchased the Bando 101 book. That's where a good majority of my working knowledge has come from. Now, when you mentioned 2-3 sets of tires per season, is that the 1 race per month during the winter series or is that the 4 races per month during the Thursday Thunder series? I'm assuming that's about $350 for a set of tires, unless I'm wrong, but I'm also unclear on cost of cutting a tire. I'm just hoping to get by on $500 a month for a month with at least 4 races, not including the cost of a spare engine or other damaged parts which I know will happen eventually. Those things I can save for and do the repairs myself, so I'm not worried about that so much. Another thing I was told is that there would be a set up fee once I bought the car that would be around $1,000. Is that right? Although I believe I could eventually get to point where I could set the car up myself, I admit I will need a starting reference. Thanks again.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 10:28:05 am »
Not sure how fast your driver will go through a set of tires. Always good to have a spare set available. Just sayin'. I am sure you will get more than one nights racing per month out of a set of tires. Check with the tire cutters on cost of cutting tires, as I don't know.

Remember that these are sealed engines and you can only do so much work yourself on the engine.

Seems a bit high on the cost to set up a Bando Car but not sure what charges for set up are nowdays. You can do set up yourself. I have a few set ups for  Bandos. You will need some basic set up tools to do the job yourself.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 05:09:30 pm »
I know nothing about bandolero's, but if people are getting paid $1000 to set them up, I'll learn real quick!
Cost to set up a Legend car around here is $100-$150, and there's a lot more to do
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 03:18:30 am »
Something you need to think about are the little thing that add up. I think you will find your $500 budget tight. Entry fees for both you and you son. Fuel back and forth to the track. Oil changes on the car. I know when I raced karts guys were changing oil every race, not sure about the bandos.

Stuff gets expensive quick. Another issue is having to buy everything from a legends dealer. A lot of this stuff I have found cannot be found anywhere else. I went legends to keep costs down, I probably could have went street stock and been in the same boat cost wise.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous