Author Topic: Driveshaft coupler  (Read 6290 times)

Offline Legends16

Driveshaft coupler
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:12:54 pm »
Hey guys,

I've been having an issue with the driveshaft coupler coming loose. This has happened even when I've used Red locktight on the main nut that holds it to the motor and installed it with an air gun.

Some guys run set screws (one or two) on the coupler that tightens down against the nut to keep it from moving. Are you guys running them? Someone suggested that I run them, someone else was opposed to the idea saying it can put the coupler in a bad position.

As of right now my coupler doesn't have holes for set screws so Ill have to find the flat spot on the nut and drill and tap the coupler. I bet that will be a ton of fun.  :-\

Are you guys running the liquid red locktight or the paste type stuff, is there a difference?

Just to be sure I am having the driveshaft checked out to see if it needs to be balanced.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Eric

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Driveshaft coupler
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:30:19 pm »
There is no reason not to run set screws, I run 2 of them.

I would recommend calling your friendly local USLC dealer and getting a new coupler. When things like that come loose, they can distort, at best causing you a vibration, worst case putting the output shaft out of balance at 10,000 rpm and eventually grenading the transmission inside the engine. Been there, done that with a loose coupler. 4 weeks later, boom.

Spend the $80 or whatever they are.

Personally, I only run blue Loctite on anything

Just my opinion
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:35:17 pm »
The new 600 couplers already have the set screws in them, I've got one kicking around somewhere I think? As far as Loctite only use the paste stuff, the liquid stuff becomes a giant mess and runs off of the threads as opposed to the paste staying and actually working.

Dan

Offline NDlegend93

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 09:16:09 pm »
I'd run the set screw.  One thing to look at is making sure you get them set on the flat edge of the hex nut inside, they can work loose if they get set against the edge of the hex nut.

Embrace your haters, they are the ones that fuel your fire to do good.

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 12:06:51 am »
 If it's coming loose with that kind of torque, the coupler is shot or driveshaft bent. Ether way I would replace the coupler

~G~

Offline Legends16

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 12:27:34 pm »
Thanks guys, I bought a new coupler and nut. Come to find out the slip joint on the driveshaft is toast, having it rebuilt.

anything