Author Topic: How to break in a new engine????? Need Help  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Giver Motorsports

How to break in a new engine????? Need Help
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:45:22 pm »
Hello,

I just put in an new motor into my legend car. I was told to break it in run it for 15mins and then let it cool for 15mins and do that for 2 hrs. I am wondering what rpm I should be running it at to break it in? I hope someone can help thanks

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: How to break in a new engine????? Need Help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:19:06 pm »
Here is a recent topic on engine break in:
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=3391.0
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Gimpster

Re: How to break in a new engine????? Need Help
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 11:46:49 pm »
 I pretty much break everything in the same no matter the engine platform.. done it the same for years in 2 stroke, 4 stroke, air cooled, water cooled, marine, automotive, ATV, and bikes.
First start up I prefer a non detergent oil in 4 strokes. Twist out the spark plugs and put 4 or 5 drops of oil in the cylinders ( I normally use 2 stroke oil for this) so the top end has lube until oil pressure is built up. twist the spark plugs in loose to finger tight. Don't clip the spark plug caps onto the plugs, simple rest them on there (hotter spark in case the oil wants to foul a plug gap on start-up). Start the engine and let it idle for around 5 minutes, somewhere around the 1200 to 1500 rpm range. Stop the engine and check for leaks (of coarse listening while it was running for any odd sounds or seeing major oil leaks during run time). Let it cool. Tighten the spark plugs and clip on the caps. Start up the engine and pick up the rpms to 2000 2500 for a minute, drop it back to idle for about 30 seconds to a minute and once again check for leaks or odd noises. Pick up the throttle to 3000 rpm's for round 15 seconds, drop it to 2000 for the same amount of time then let it idle for half a minute. Pick up the throttle to 4000 rpms for 15 seconds, drop to 3000 for 15 seconds, drop to 2000 rpms for 15 seconds then let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute while checking for leaks and noises. Take the engine up to 4000 rpms for 15 seconds, drop to 3000 rpms for 15 seconds, pick back up to 4000 rpms for 15 seconds drop to 2000 rpms for 15 seconds, pick up to 3000 rpms for 15 seconds, pick it up to 4000 rpms for 15 seconds then let it idle for around half a minute while checking for leaks and odd noises. If ok, do some hard throttle snaps up to around 5 or 6 thousand rpms, like 4 or 5 times.. let the engine idle for about 30 seconds then shut it down to let it cool completely. Do the process one more time once totally cooled. 2 good rounds of this should get you in the ball park. After cooled, take the car out for a drive. Run it up to 3000 rpms and back out of it until the rpms drop to around 1500 or so, pick up the throttle to 4000 and get out of it, run it up to 5000 rpms and back totally out of it until it drops to around 1500 rpms. Repeat.... Shut down the car and let it cool... go out and do the throttle punches and let offs at different rpms once again for around 15 minutes or so. Let it cool. Do it one more time if you want to... Now take it out and drive it like you stole it but dont stay steady on the throttle. Let it cool.. Load it up go run a race or 2 and change to the oil you prefer to run, I recommend a good synthetic bike oil
^^^^^ breaking it in without a dino (lol) ^^^^^

~Gimpster~