Author Topic: Breaking in a new motor  (Read 11897 times)

Offline hooligan4563

Breaking in a new motor
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:59:21 am »
I will be installing a new sealed 1250 in a couple weeks and I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for the best way to break the motor in.

knoxracing

Re: Breaking in a new motor
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:55:38 am »
1)Break in oil!!!!!!!!!!!
2)Properly bleed the air and make sure you have full oil circulation prior to starting.
3)Two hours of run time prior to track time.
4)1/2 - 3/4 throttle first couple runs (suggested)
5)Run time should not be at a normal idle, 10 -15 minute period with fans for cooling.

We run break in oil for atleast three race days ESPECIALLY if its a Wiseco 4 or 8 over motor.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 12:34:40 pm »
dennis do you change the break in oil after each race? I do..

joe

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 02:46:58 pm »
We run the motor in the shop, take it to the track and race it on the same oil. We change it and run two more races. Keep in mind our motors have been on the dyno so they have had the oil drained from them previously.

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:24:53 am »

Running an engine with no load does absolutely nothing to break in an engine.  The ONLY thing to break in with any new engines is rings.  To do so, you must create cylinder pressure (hp) to get behind the ring and force it into the cylinder wall.  The last engine i had on my dyno made as much power as it will ever make after 8 minutes of initial start up..... Dont mind that the engine in question was 600cc's and makes more hp than an fj/xj ever will.  With mobil 1 i might add

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:28:03 am »
We run the motor in the shop, take it to the track and race it on the same oil. We change it and run two more races. Keep in mind our motors have been on the dyno so they have had the oil drained from them previously.

So.......... You guys re-break in an engine after its been run on a dyno?

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 09:04:02 pm »
Running an engine on a chassis dyno (like U.S. Legends does) does provide the load required to seat the rings.  Running an engine on most Engine dyno's should also provide the required load.
Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 09:21:33 pm »
The amount of time spent on the engine dyno is not adequate for a full break in to maximize the longevity of the motor. It has nothing to do with load, its time. I am sure everyone has there theory on break in.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 10:40:55 pm »
So.........you guys get all wound up over hp numbers coming off the dyno in charlotte, and then conclude the numbers are useful in compairing engines, yet the engines arent broken in? 

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 08:19:38 am »
Forgive me if this is a stupid question. How do you run the motor hard on a dyno if it is not broke in? It seems it would be hard on the motor if the rings are not seated in yet. Again I'm still trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 09:10:07 am »
I would assume that Dennis is referring to heat cycles of the engine.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 11:24:35 am »
I understand heat cycles that are needed and putting it under a load but it  just like 2hrs is  a lot of time before you race it. I'm getting my 1200 back from my local builder soon and want to do it right. He has told me to put 4 or 5 heat cycles in it and let it rip.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 02:34:29 pm »
My opinion...do what your builder tells you to.
If something goes wrong, he's the one you are going to call, not Dennis, Grape, me, or anyone else...right?

Just my 2 cents
I run mine  around the neighborhood for about 10 minutes with break in oil.
Then to the track for hot laps with fresh break in oil. Race that night with the break in oil, then it's on to the normal routine.
granted, I have 1/9,537th the experience of Dennis and Grape, but it worked for me. Last motor had well over 100 nights on it before it started to get tired hot.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 05:33:47 pm »
Steve is right. Follow ur buildrers instructions. The motors are run on the chassis dyno at break n rpms for a few sessions and then a pull or pulls are made. When a pull is made the motor is progressively taken to about 10,000 rpm's. The motor is cooled between pulls, yes you could say its broke in, I do not feel that this is enough to take it to the track and flog the hell out of it. If Grape feels his customers should just bang the hell out of a fresh engine have at it. Myself and my customers 5500 dollar motors are big investments and caution and care are taken. Then again maybe this is part of why we have such little trouble. Do as you wish, the question was asked and I have given my opinion and will continue to do so with a smile.

anything