Author Topic: How do you go about getting sponsors  (Read 35193 times)

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
How do you go about getting sponsors
« on: January 19, 2008, 12:31:41 am »
Looking for lots of input here.  This is a subject that almost all of you have had to deal with.  So how did you deal with it?

All input on this topic will help everyone hone their skills at getting the money to keep having fun.  Be a sport and contribute.  You've all gained from being able to read other posts, now give a little and help others out.

I still haven't gone out to get sponsors, but I'm about to.  This seems like the best opportunity to gain experience from some of you seasoned pro's out there.  I've got a couple of examples from a friend that was willing to share.  I'm also going to create a postcard to hand out along with my promo package.  My wife took a great shot of the car that she had turned into stamps, so I'll be including a stamp on the postcard as well.  The next thing to decide is the style of packages to offer.  How much for how much.

How are you handling it?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Mike

If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: How do you go about getting sponsors
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 04:58:20 am »
You can try these:

http://www.ssapubl.com/productList.aspx?specialty=RacingBusiness&specialty=Sponsorship

There are several others out there also.

After 30 years in business for myself, and a Racer/Race Fan; I can tell you that sponsorship is about more than just putting a decal on your car. Because I owned a printing business, I was approached by many "Would Be" racers. I could pick out the ones that just "Wanted Money" VS the ones that were "Willing To Promote My Business".
 In your sponsorship package: Be willing to do things like bring your car to the sponsors business (Gearheads, Racers, Race Fans, will ALWAYS stop to look at a racecar). Offer your Car and/Yourself for advertising media.
Be prepared to paint your car pink with green polkadots (for the right price).
 Have A Plan. Afterall, this IS a business venture. I printed a promotional package for one racer that included things such as price for advertising on certain parts of the car (hood, side(s), trunk, etc...) If it had had fenders, I think he would have had a price for those too.
 Cash Money, And / Or Services , should ALWAYS be treated with Equal Respect. The guy that paints your car, or prints your promotional package, free or discounted parts; should ALWAYS be given the same advertising considerations as the guy who gives you $$$$.
 I'm sure I can come up with plenty more on this subject.
 Most Of All - BE and ACT in a Professional Manner.
Your not only promoting yourself; You are promoting your future sponsor, and the future of racing in your area.

Mike,
 If you would like me to look over your promo package, shoot me an email. I would be more than happy to give you my oppinion. The stamp is a really nice touch! Doesn't cost a lot, but is a very personal touch.

Best Of Luck To EVERYONE In There Search For Sponsors!!!!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 03:15:12 pm »
I spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours putting together proposals and mailing them and doing follow up calls, and got nothing.

At that point I just decided to talk to people I  work with, for, and around. Being in Real Estate, I deal with alot of different companies, so I just started asking. So far for next season I have already recieved $300 from a home inspector, $1000 from a roofer, and yesterday I got $4000 in advertising from a nation wide home advertising magazine. Remember, trade is as good as money, its money you dont have to spend to feed your kids, fix your truck, paint your car, etc.. . Talk to your favorite restaurant. I have 2 offering me hundreds of dollars in food certificates, I just have to pick one. Im also working on a septic pumping company for a free pump and inspection in trade. Need a heater in your garage? Ask the HVAC guy for free labor in trade for advertising. Look outside the box and I think you will be more successful. Small businesses dont always have cash, but they WILL trade their wares for decent exposure, but only if they know they can!

Hope this helps!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline bback58

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 03:42:08 pm »
All my sponsors are people I know in some way, so didn't have any "cold calls" to give anyone good advice, but I did find out  (and really knew already) that just sending letters is a waste of your time.  You need to hit the pavement and meet the people.
Brian B

Offline Legendracer24

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 05:43:44 pm »
Hey all, every one of my sponsors were cold-calls as well as some family contributions.
Family contributed about 3,000$ while sponsors have contributed about 7,000$ so far! its been amazing, the amount of support i got from some people. I got 2000$ (main sponsor) from Midas in my local neighborhood which paid for the whole rebuild of my car. I also got 750$ from my n eigbor's lanscaping business and about 4000$ from random local businesses. Yes my car will be covered in decals but was it worth it not having to pay outta pocket for the whole shpiel? you bet!
the age old saying: Speed Costs--How fast do you want to go>? Thank god this isn't true for legends because i have no money!

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 12:02:06 am »
Excellent info so far.  I hope even more people are willing to share their experiences getting sponsors.

Personally, I'm a do it yourself kind of guy.  I don't like getting other people to work on any of my stuff, so the in trade type of sponsor would only be of real value to me if it had something to do with racing.  That market is pretty full already.  Not to say I wont try it.  I built my own house, wired it, plumbed it, the works.  I do my own welding and painting.  I do most of my own mechanical work.  It's in my nature to do these things myself, so I don't go to others for it.  But I certainly see the point in treating a sponsor that would like to trade their services/goods for advertising the same as a cash sponsor.  That actually gives me a couple of ideas for more potential sponsors.

There is a lot of information out there in the form of self help books on how to sell yourself, but to be honest, I find them frustrating.  I read their examples and think "yeah, right!  I don't see myself saying that, nor to do I see anyone responding that way".  The ideas may work, but the way they represent them make me think they've never done it themselves.

You guys are racers.  You've had to get sponsors.  How did you do it?  What did you say, how did they react?

I do expect to represent the companies that sponsor me.  I fully intend to offer helping with promotional events for them.  I can easily see parking my car outside their business to draw people.  They are very appealing looking cars and I can easily see drawing a crowd with one.  I also expect to promote their business as part of the package.  I like the idea of offering to use my car and myself in their promotional material.

Legendracer24, what did you use to decide to cold call a business?  How did you represent yourself to them?  How did you introduce yourself?  I'd like to hear more about that aspect of getting sponsors.  It's one thing to say I'm going to approach company X, but how do you open the conversation?  How do you get to the right person?

I've got some general ideas of prices from some of the local racers for various advertising packages.  I'd like to hear what other people are asking for.  What pricing ranges have you used?  What gets what in return?

Thanks for the comments so far.  Who's next?
I know more of you have gotten a sponsor.   :)

Mike

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 12:06:21 am »
All my sponsors are people I know in some way, so didn't have any "cold calls" to give anyone good advice, but I did find out  (and really knew already) that just sending letters is a waste of your time.  You need to hit the pavement and meet the people.

All info is good info.  How did you go about getting money from the people you know?  Did you just ask "wanna give me some money?  I'll put your name on the car..."  Did you offer them anything in return for their money?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 05:00:35 am »
Mike,
 In response to the comments on sponsorship listed in the lubrication section:

Your not trying to date the prom queen. Don't so much have to impress sponsors with our looks or savvy. Not at this level anyway. Although, when we approach a prospective sponsor we want to look respectable. Never was too impressed with the guy that shows up in an expensive suit. Those guys always just seemed to want your money, and not want to do anything to earn it.
 You are hours away from the guy you bought your car from. Different Town, More Prospective Customers for the sponsor. If the guy doesn't want to give you his contact, create your own. You already know who the sponsor is.
 I was never too crazy about phone calls. I don't like to spend my time on the phone with a nondescript person. Take your promo package to the prospective sponsor. Introduce yourself. Let them know that they are dealing with a Real Person. Let them know what you are doing, and what you can do for them. Mailings are a follow up. Business Owners get tons of junk mail.
 You are getting a lot of really good info from the other members of this forum. Lots cheaper than buying a book. And most likely, more practical too. The info in the self help books are designed to get you to think. The situations and responses are not usually like explained in the books.
 Friends, Family, Business Contacts.............. Good place to start!
I understand the DIY approach. My car, so far, is all out of pocket. I'm in for thousands of dollars. What was stolen, and/or damaged, I've replaced out of my own pocket. I could have paid for a good used car with what I've spent so far. Unfortunately I don't have a bank full of money!
 Sponsors will help You; just as much as you will help Them. I know it's hard to ask for help sometimes. But if you don't have a bank full of cash; what can you do to achieve your goal? Racing Isn't Cheap. I have been fortunate enough in the past, to use my racing as a form of advertising for my business. Now; I don't have that same luxury.
You already have invested in a car that is at least complete. Something you can show them, and at least get on the track. Mine is still My Dream. Other than a room full of parts; I don't have much I feel comfortable pitching to a prospective sponsor.

More of my random thoughts  ::)

Steve

Offline Legendracer24

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 08:27:24 am »
well to start off im 15 years old, and did it pretty much all myself, i get my sales critique from my mother, whos been in sales all of her life, so im pretty decent at it already. Well, we first compiled a list of potiental sponsors that we thought would possibly benefit from sponsoring a race car. But to tell you the truth most of the sponsors didnt even come off that list. Midas, my main sponsor for example is a wierd one. i was at wendy's and midas was next door, so i was like dad, would midas sponsor a car? and he was like why dont you go ask! So i went in, said hi my names tyler and i have a race car and i would like to know if you would be interested in sponsoring me. He said absoulutely! i was just about to get back into racing myself. calls me the next day....uhh yea id like to be your main sponsor! Has that position on the car been taken yet? Uhh, no sir it hasnt...(jaw drops) WEll yes, why dont you come in and ill give you $500 cash to put you in play ....me- uhh, uhh okay!

SO thats how the midas story went. We also had some rich-ass friends of our family that were like here, take a thousand dollars, good luck with your dream! -That was random as hell.

The selling point however was a 4 page sponsor packet complete with pictures and pricing for advertisement. People really liked how it was laid out and they found it easy to pick a position on the car if they wanted one. Sponsorship oppertunities ranged from donation of equipment all the way up to 2000$. I have also had the paint donated (about 150$ worth of paint from napa) and Midas also gave me a trailer to use for the upcoming season! So its working out really well for me as i hope everyone else has a bit of  luck too. DOnt be afraid to cover your car in stickers, so that you dont end up paying for this sport out of pocket haha! ;)
the age old saying: Speed Costs--How fast do you want to go>? Thank god this isn't true for legends because i have no money!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 08:44:03 am »
Legendseacer24,
 Sounds like your doin'  the right stuff  Tyler!
Sure; Why not go ask. ???
Worst that can happen is they tell you no.
              (I hate rejection.  :'()
I know for fact that their not going to take away your birthaday or anything.  ::) :D ;D

Keep us posted

Best Of Luck!

Steve

Offline thunder938

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 08:26:59 pm »
The problem we have is that our group tours around to 3 tracks that are anywhere from 45 minutes away to 90 minutes away all in diff. direction.  We run about 6 to 8 race at each of these tracks.  It is great fun, but hard to get "local" help when some of the races and crowds will be that far away from  the company helping.  I need more of a state wide or area wide company rather then a local company / shop that will not see value in the deal.

Right now I pay for it all and it is not too bad IF I dont need a motor, but "help" would make things better with a 12 week old I can use all the HELP I can get@!^%^

Dave
Dave

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 10:08:39 pm »
I suspect you'll need help with sleep more than anything.

So far I can afford to get the car on the track myself.  A little help would be nice.  My biggest concern is a new or rebuilt engine.  I'm leaning more towards a new engine, and have the old one rebuilt as a spare.  This year I won't be able to afford the engine, but hopefully next year I will if I can find sponsors.  I work a fairly large amount of overtime, so I'll be putting a fair bit of  money from overtime cheques on paying off the car. 

With a little help from some of you, I hope to hone my skills in getting sponsors to help pay for all.

Thanks guys,
Mike

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 08:31:41 am »
I got a realtor to help me.  She has been a life saver and I take the car to a couple of her events every year. I try and make it worth her wild to stay on the side of my car. I also give her a picture or something at the end of every year. Good luck in 08 everyone.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 09:11:38 am »
Crazy Realtors, what are they doing sponsoring race cars?!?!? I started a sponsorship deal here in Southeast Wisconsin where if any driver in any class of anything buys or sells a house through me, I will give them up to $1000.00 in sponsorship in return.  Realtors are a good source of sponsorship $$, the good ones have money, and are willing to spend it to get a potential deal, plus its an advertising write off, which we need badly being self employed. I currently sponsor a kart team and a sprint car, will be on a modified in 08, and of course my rolling billboard of a Legend car I drive
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline MegaMang

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 07:03:20 pm »
OK.  Realtor is going on my list of potentials for sure.  Who'd a thunk?!
Mike