Author Topic: Digital Gear Indicator Kit, Not from 600!  (Read 73174 times)

Offline WIGGLES84

Digital Gear Indicator Kit, Not from 600!
« on: April 04, 2013, 12:00:18 pm »
This is where I am keeping the list of members that would like one of my kits\parts
The next post is where this thread originally started

Full kit list

2. vince6b
4. dirtracer68
5. canabl

Sending unit only

1. chris mckinney

Gauge only

Shipped

1.  vern houseman      <.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.> shipped 2 pre-production kits
2. Guy from Washington @nationals ( Dennis I think  ???) <.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.> First round production kit

3. Legends16                 <.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.> First round production kit
4. N4Racing                   <.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.> First round production kit (W\ 7th hole pluged)
5. VMS Motorsports  <.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.> First round production kit

Install Info

• Here is a link to a PDF of 600's install instructions. I will eventually get around to making my own version with pictures, but since I do not have a car it might be awhile!
  • Steps 1-4 do not apply as my gauge is a different size

• For the gauge you will need to make a 1 5/16" hole ( I will double check that when I get a chance to measure the OD again at work)

Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline WIGGLES84

Re: Digital Gear Indicator Kit, Not from 600!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:17:37 pm »
Original first post
I am current working on a Digital Gear Indicator kit for the legends  car.  The plate itself is made out of 6061 T6 Aluminum, no more cracked mounting holes or dis-formed\melted plate  :o.

I have a working prototype of the plate done and it's mounted in my dads car. He hasn't had a chance to run it on a track yet, but everything works when hooked up to 600's gauge. There is also a gauge in the works but I'm being d!cked around by the plastic company I ordered from and they seem to be the only place I can find the color I want to use.

Currently I'm not 100% happy with the way the plastic is being held in the aluminum plate, but I have a few ideas on how to fix that.  

A few pics......

I made that plate earlier this week. I really didn't take any pics of the one on my dad's car before he installed it :-\

I do have a question about 600's plate: What is the seventh unused contact point for and does it have to be there? It would save me some time making these if I don't have to put it on there.

Any info on that seventh contact point would help greatly!

Andrew

Original second post

My dad just reminded me about some pics my brother took and emailed me, completely forgot them  ::)

My wiring job on that one was not the greatest, got solid wire instead of stranded and was not easy to work with.

Andrew
Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline svtmatt

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 04:21:48 pm »
I can't answer your question, but the part looks great.  Nice work!

I wonder how long it will take USLC to rule this better design, more reliable part illegal?

MT
Matt Todd
Michgan Legends #8

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 06:12:47 am »
OR.... Andrew may get a contract with USLC.
 ;D ;D ;D

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:39:40 pm »
Andrew,

Tha piece looks great! At some point in time Ill be looking to get one as I do some road course racing up here in the North East. Its on my list of things to do with the car, but $250 for the USLC is a little bit more than I want to spend at the moment.

Im ineterested to see what the rest of the gauge looks like when your done. If you were to sell these I could be pretty interested. Please keep us informed on your progress. Best of luck!

Eric

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:07:54 am »
I got final word back from the plastic place... no go on the diameter\s and colors I want to use, unless I want to order about $500 worth. So I just ordered some clear from McMaster-Carr. Not much progress other wise.

Andrew

Offline N4Racing

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 10:08:06 am »
I am very interested in this as well.  Please keep me posted!

Jeff

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »
Andrew has done some really nice work on this piece. I'm really impressed!!!
They are still doing some testing as I understand.

Steve

Offline WIGGLES84

Update
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 04:00:28 am »
I have the prototype  housing for the digital read out machined up.

I wanted a smoked or tinted acrylic, but would have to buy 4-6 48" bars of material to get the size needed. I may purchase a larger diameter bar from McMaster-Carr and machine it down to what I want. But I'm not there yet.

I need to epoxy the read out into the housing, terminate the leads and wire up the plate I have machined.  Vern Houseman will be the first to receive the full kit, unless something falls through.  Once it gets some track time I'll feel better about selling these to others.

Andrew

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 05:26:31 am »
Looking really good, Andrew!!!
 8)

Steve

Offline N4Racing

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 07:06:57 pm »
Looking Good!

Offline Legends16

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 12:18:58 pm »
Again, looks great Andrew,

If all works out fine with it Id be pretty interested in purchacing one.

Just a thought, what about applying some sort of tinted material over the readout, like a window tint or somthing along those lines? Maybe it wouldnt stick? Idk, just an Idea I had.   Either way I like it a lot! Keep us posted.

Best of luck!,

Eric

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 12:35:45 pm »

Just a thought, what about applying some sort of tinted material over the readout, like a window tint or somthing along those lines? Maybe it wouldnt stick? Idk, just an Idea I had.   Either way I like it a lot! Keep us posted.

Best of luck!,

Eric

Thought of getting some of the spray on stuff. might give it a try down the road.

Andrew

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 01:28:35 pm »

Best of luck!,

Eric

Thought of getting some of the spray on stuff. might give it a try down the road.

Andrew
You could try smoke vinyl, like they use for ghost flames
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 06:10:13 am »
I think I have the gauge prototype finished up. Took a few quick pics at work using a test box for setting up sensors on our stamping dies.

(Sorry, just crappy smartphone pics)

Yes, that is 600's "sending unit"  :o

Plug~N~Play ;D

Andrew