Author Topic: University of SC Legends Autocross project tracking thread.  (Read 43983 times)

Offline jhidde

Re: University of SC Legends Autocross project tracking thread.
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2014, 12:35:41 pm »
Do I need to buy filter oil?
Schuyler

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »
Might as well! I know you didn't run much last year, but why not start with fresh oil and a clean filter as well.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline jhidde

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2014, 05:26:00 pm »
Ordered the rebuild kits and a filter, found some filter oil we already have. Will update more after we rebuild the carbs.

We're going to follow some tutorials we've found online, but are there any surprises people typically run in to when rebuilding carbs for the first time that you can forewarn us about? lol
Schuyler

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »
Clean, Clean, Clean!  Then clean some more. Ultrasonic cleaning seems to work best. Be sure to blow out ALL the passages with compressed air.
Other than that; I deffer to the carb Gurus.

Look forward to your updates.
Best Of Luck Guys!!!

Steve

Offline jhidde

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2014, 12:33:23 pm »
Thanks Randy, got the kits yesterday. Going to go start the rebuild process here in the next half hour. Will be sure to update, with hopefully good news, after it's done.
Schuyler

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2014, 04:42:36 pm »
2 Thumbs Up!!!

Steve

Offline jhidde

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2014, 09:10:40 pm »
Update as of 9:00pm, came inside for some food and beer, will be heading back into the garage to finish them up later tonight (gotta love a heated garage)

Schuyler

Offline jhidde

« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2014, 12:22:22 pm »
Finished up last night. Put the carbs back on the car, and she fired right up. Warmed up faster than it ever has. There was a slight ticking noise once it warned up, so we didn't run it long in case it was lean and pinging. Idle is also quite high. Overall though, quite pleased with how we left her. Now she just needs to be tuned.
Schuyler

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2014, 08:21:17 pm »
SWEET!!!
Good job!!!
Be sure to sync the carbs and the normal tune up stuff; I think you will be just fine.
GREAT JOB!!!!

Steve

Offline jhidde

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2014, 07:56:19 pm »
Carbs are synced and the idle seems to be sorted out. However, the car is making a loud ticking noise that definitely needs some attention before the car does anything. The motorcycle mechanic that tuned the carbs said he does not  believe it is clutch chatter, so, our only next logical guess is to check that the clutch basket is properly secured, and that nothing is loose in there...
Schuyler

Offline jhidde

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2014, 07:57:59 pm »
Unfortunately, not here for a good update. Got the basket out, and started playing around with the shifter and shaft. Something is definitely awry with our transmission.  The shaft seizes at certain points, and the shifter does not go through all gears reliably. So, I suppose my next update will be when we are taking out the motor and disassembling it...
Schuyler

Offline Legends16

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2014, 08:09:38 am »
Unfortunately, not here for a good update. Got the basket out, and started playing around with the shifter and shaft. Something is definitely awry with our transmission.  The shaft seizes at certain points, and the shifter does not go through all gears reliably. So, I suppose my next update will be when we are taking out the motor and disassembling it...

Something to check before you get into the motor tranny area. I had a shifting issue when I first bought my car. It was hanging in gear and inetermttenly not going through the gears. Check for play in the shifter shaft (in and out of the motor). My car had a bent C-clip on the shifter shaft of the motor. It was beveled in a way that alowed the shaft to move in an out. It wasnt that much play but it was enough. When the shaft moved in towards the engine the tranny wouldnt work right, pulled it back towards the firewall (normal postion) it would operate noramly. I found this right before we started pulling the engine out of the car and started pulling the bottom covers off.

Ever since this issue I now run a small 1/4 thick plastic shim between the shifter arm and clutch plate to rellieve and preasure on the C-clip.

Hope Im making sence to you and if Im not I can send you a picture of what Im talking about. Best of luck,

Eric

Offline jhidde

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2014, 04:49:46 pm »

Something to check before you get into the motor tranny area. I had a shifting issue when I first bought my car. It was hanging in gear and inetermttenly not going through the gears. Check for play in the shifter shaft (in and out of the motor). My car had a bent C-clip on the shifter shaft of the motor. It was beveled in a way that alowed the shaft to move in an out. It wasnt that much play but it was enough. When the shaft moved in towards the engine the tranny wouldnt work right, pulled it back towards the firewall (normal postion) it would operate noramly. I found this right before we started pulling the engine out of the car and started pulling the bottom covers off.

Ever since this issue I now run a small 1/4 thick plastic shim between the shifter arm and clutch plate to rellieve and preasure on the C-clip.

Hope Im making sence to you and if Im not I can send you a picture of what Im talking about. Best of luck,

Eric

I'll check that next time I'm at the shop Eric, thanks!
Schuyler