Author Topic: University of SC Legends Autocross project tracking thread.  (Read 47850 times)

Offline tbevirt

• Beer
University of SC Legends Autocross project tracking thread.
« on: February 12, 2013, 10:52:33 pm »
So I couldnt find anything in the rules about project threads so I thought Id go ahead and make a project thread for our schools car.

jhidde and I are working with our campus' SCCA club to build a legends car that was given to us by our mechanical engineering department. We are attempting to prep it for autocross. To my knowledge the car has not been raced for more than a decade. The wiring was trash, the tires are bad, the fiberglass needs work, the brakes probably need rebuilding, to summerise there is lots to do. All of us working on it right now are engineers of some sort. I personally am a mechanical grad student, we also have a civil grad student, as well as a mechanical and an electrical undergrad working.

Things we know right now:
The motor turns over and we have spark. (We did not have time after it fired to make sure the gas in the carbs was good)
We think we have an FJ1200 TCI vs an XJR1200 TCI (which I understand is what is factory for legends cars)
We have at least one seized or partially seized rotor.
The miata radiator fan we are setting to help cool the motor needs a bracket made.
The brakes need to be bled.
It is the belief of many on the team that the diff is wielded but a few members think it could be a locker

What are goals are:
Have the car running for the first autocross event at Michelin's Laurens Proving Grounds. An awesome blacktop that has no obstructions what so ever. (secondary goal, have the car set to run at a Clemson autocross event coming up about an hour and a half from where we are). This is a link to the blacktop at Michelin:

To have a car set up for our club so that those with out a car at school or who do not have a car that can run autocross can join us at events and drive.
To meet that we dont have a large budget so everything needs to be done on the cheap.
Part of doing it on the cheap means finding a source of cheap tires, Panic Motorsports have been very helpful in the past and would supply us with used Hoosier SM6s (P205/50ZR15 Hoosier R6 tires essentially).

Things we need:
4x114 15 inch wheels that are cheap and are close to the correct offset
Some one willing to tow our car to evetns
Time
Money and most importantly beer.

Because we arent really looking to win anything and just have fun we are not super worried about what class we end up in. I have never seen a legends car at one of our events so it would not be likely that there would be anything to run against anyway.

Anyway I cant think of anything more to add for now. Ill keep this updated as we make progress. Heres a few pics for now.

Me working on belt fitment I think.

The pickup coil after being rewired.

The first start.

Offline tbevirt

• Beer
Re: University of SC Legends Autocross project tracking thread.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:32:16 pm »
Oh, and I guess I have a first question. Since we found our car seems to have the FJ1200 TCI vs the XJ, and from what I can see the XJ has a vacuum sensor, are we going to be making less power with this TCI? I assume the XJ TCI uses the vacuum input to gauge engine load and therefore control timing advance.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:41:42 pm »
Just unplug the vacuum hose to the sensor and plug it
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:53:57 pm »
Tyson,

Unfortunately I hold the title for the longest running project thread.  :-[
You guys at least have a good platform to start with. I started with an idea and a pile of tubing.  :o
Years of research, and a lot of GREAT folks here on this site and a few others; I am finally starting to see the project come to fruitation.

As I previously posted, Congratulations on getting it fired up! I'll have to check out your video.

Don't take any chances on the brakes. Rebuild them! Clean and grease up the wheel bearings. These can be done for cheap!!! I paid like $26.00 for new wheel bearing sets from Jim at VMS. Caliper rebuild kits are around $9.00 each. Pads and shoes can be had at local auto parts stores for around $50.00.
We have several dealers here on the site that are very easy to deal with.

As for the rear end: You are not going to want a locked rear end for autocrossing. A limited slip is the way to go. They are pricey IF you can find them. An open rear end may be your best bet, and the cheapest route to go. Perhaps a local wreking yard, or racer, would help your cause.

May not be such a big deal to you guys right now; But having to run against modified Corvettes and the likes isn't a lot of fun. True, that everyone runs against the clock and not heads up racing. Saves a ton of money on beat up equipment! But it is nicer to compete with other cars that are a little more comparable. Legends and Dwarf Cars are now allowed to run in F/M.

On your tire deal: Free tires are cool, but the 15" wheels and tires are going to change your gearing situation. I am using the old BFG tires. They can be had anywhere from free to cheap! SCCA only allows a few tires for these cars. The ones you mention are not them.

As far as people at school wanting to run autocross, they can run dang near anything! Those that don't have cars with them at school; I think your program will be a good experience for them to get into racing.

I sent a few messages along, and hope they will help you. I look forward to watching the progress on the car and your team efforts.

Best Wishes,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline faster12

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 12:44:12 pm »
Do you have 13" wheels? We have 15 13" dot street tires that we where running on our mini stock some of them are new and the used ones aren't hurt at all we will take 200 for all 15 if your interested.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 08:48:07 pm »
OR... You could donate them to their efforts and take a tax write off.
 :)

Steve

Offline tbevirt

• Beer
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:14:34 pm »
Do you have 13" wheels? We have 15 13" dot street tires that we where running on our mini stock some of them are new and the used ones aren't hurt at all we will take 200 for all 15 if your interested.

Where are you located? We don't really have the cash for that right now but a would be interested in the future. That many 13s would last us for a while.

Offline faster12

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 03:12:17 pm »
I wouldn't mind helping them out but I don't own the tires the guys I've been driving for do. But we're in athens ga. Will cut bfgs work on a road coarse?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 08:28:23 pm »
As these courses tend to be set up in parking lots, old air strips and the likes; Cut tires likely won't help. Could be wrong.
The ones I got from Tony were siped, not cut.
Don't see why you couldn't get through a season (or two) with a good set and a spare or two.

Steve

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 08:44:33 pm »
I really can't help out as much since I've never auto crossed before, but I have road raced.  However you might want to look into getting a set of road course cut tires.  I'd think you would want to run something similar to a road course set up and tire.

Dan

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 08:56:19 pm »
Dan,

Somewhat similar, but not usually run at a track. Parking lots are the norm. Flat, flat, flat!!!
Speeds don't get near what they run on a road course either.

Steve

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 09:02:58 pm »
Don't you have back up in autocross? I did some in San Antonio in the mid 80's and there at least 2 places where you come to stop back up into section and rsumes in another direction.  '78' 280Z.

Robert

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 09:31:13 pm »
Not in any of the courses I have run. Some pretty tight turns and a lot of shifting.
I'm very curious to see how these cars work for autocross. I know of a couple members that use their legends cars for autocross.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 09:48:36 pm »
There are reverse add on kits you can put on Legends, I've been told
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 09:59:21 pm »
Ive seen buggy guys use a starter motor and ring gear, or chain cases from snowmobiles. There are some kits available, but they are VERY pricey!!! The kits I know of seem to come with mixed reviews.  :-\

Steve