Author Topic: rear axle seal  (Read 14607 times)

Offline HAMMERIN101

rear axle seal
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:30:54 pm »
i recently had my housing out and had it jigged to be sure it was staight....changed gears...and was replacing axle seal.......i bought national 1955 seals........i have 2 different sets of  axles.....both are 2 piece   one fit fine but the other set of axles  where the seal rides on the collar is smaller   is there a different seal   for these axles?  if so does anbody know the part  number......thanks

Doug Hawkins #101

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: rear axle seal
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 01:18:01 pm »
i recently had my housing out and had it jigged to be sure it was staight....changed gears...and was replacing axle seal.......i bought national 1955 seals........i have 2 different sets of  axles.....both are 2 piece   one fit fine but the other set of axles  where the seal rides on the collar is smaller   is there a different seal   for these axles?  if so does anbody know the part  number......thanks

Nope, only one seal, if there is something different then I have never seen it in my 19years. Someone changed the wheel bearing and used the wrong one.

You are either going to have to spec out a seal that will fit both I.D. & O.D. or replace the wheel bearing to the correct RW124.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline HAMMERIN101

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 03:20:58 pm »
Thanks....the inside of the bearing is smaller as well ...so i will have to buy a new short axle and my correct one is bent
Doug Hawkins #101

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 04:48:21 pm »
Doug,   I use Chicago Rawhide seals(P/N CR 20433) available from my local NAPA parts store and have never had a problem.  One extra thing I have do is apply a light coat of oil resistant RTV around  outside circumference of seal, between seal & housing, to prevent potential oil leaks around outside of seal as well.

Good luck!  :)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 05:27:40 pm »
Thanks....the inside of the bearing is smaller as well ...

That is going to be a 8 differential. Those are popular with the dwarf car guys.

Randy
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 08:16:33 pm »
Doug,   I use Chicago Rawhide seals(P/N CR 20433) available from my local NAPA parts store and have never had a problem.  One extra thing I have do is apply a light coat of oil resistant RTV around  outside circumference of seal, between seal & housing, to prevent potential oil leaks around outside of seal as well.

Good luck!  :)

If you have to use other sealers, or anything else to make your axle seals do their job, then you got the wrong one or have a problem with the axle or housing ends. Randy may be correct in that you have an 8 bolt axle.

MHO

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline HAMMERIN101

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 08:20:46 pm »
i have national #1955 seals.they fit the housing  and one set of axles fine.(short one is bent)     the other set that came as spares with my car is for the 8....anybody no of a dwarf driver that neeeds these....thanks for all yalls help
Doug Hawkins #101

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 08:48:59 pm »
Advertise on DCR, racingjunk or eBay. 8 bolt are all the rage in the Dwarfcar world now days.

Steve

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 10:03:32 pm »
Steve,

I've used the RTV sealer trick for most of my 30 years of racing on full size to Legends cars rear end housings.  Nothing to do with the seal being incorrect or a housing problem.  The preapplied green sealer on outside of seal housing does not always seal correctly after installation.  Speaking from experience, had this issue happen more than once and the RTV solved this problem.  Just trying to help a fellow racer.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 10:55:13 pm »
Mark,

Understand that it's an old racers trick; Been around the block a few years too. Just saying that with the materials we have to work with now days, shouldn't have to use the old school tricks. Good tip for a temporary fix; Just don't like to use it as a full time fix. Not saying that it is right or wrong... I still use some of the old school stuff out of habit. Easier for my old brain to understand. lol! I am progressing. I now use my walker for left side weight.  ;D

Steve