Author Topic: Any results with new clip support?  (Read 12062 times)

Offline slack11

Any results with new clip support?
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:23:45 am »
It's been a little bit since they came out with this, and I am thinking of doing this also for this season.  Anyone install these supports yet and run?  Just curious if it changed anything much, or if there was a noticeable difference.

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Any results with new clip support?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:42:40 am »
I looked at the Winter Nationals and didn't see one car with them on. I meant to talk with Scott R. about them but he was busy every time I went by. I did hear rumors that they might make them mandatory but it was just a rumor.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline atlawson21

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:25:45 am »
We put them on our car, and so far have had great success with them.  I believe we are the only one running them at our track, and so far we have been one of the best handling cars out. 

Offline McLeod_21

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:53:29 am »
They're on my car, I'm not yet a believer...but it's only been 2 races.

The only thing that it seems to have done is move the flex point from the kick-ups to right infront of the shock tower...

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 02:02:11 pm »
I would like to put them on but am worried about doing it without getting the chassis on a jig first.  If anything is a little off, the kickups might lock that problem into place.  I like the idea of them and think it is something that should have happened years ago. 

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 05:00:03 pm »
I know a few people who tested with them in N.Carolina and they told me it slowed the cars down. They welded them on and after one test session they cut them right off. I am glad they are not mandatory because I don't believe in them, just wait until someone get's into a hard wreck with them and look at the extra damage. Instead of just a clip their going to be replacing much more on the chassis.

Also, if they were going to actually help a lot of people would already have them on, but like Scott said he didn't see anyone at the Winter Nationals with them on.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

igotmylegend

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:24:55 am »
I'm going to let this play out for a little while before I put em on.

Offline nosted

• Have fun!Go fast! TURN LEFT!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 07:59:18 am »
From what I'd heard. There is minimal or no handeling improvement, and you add another strengthening weld, so a small impact that would bend a stock clip, would completley move the moded clip and make it useless, in addition to connecting the clip more firmly to the roll cage and (potentialy) causing damage to the cage in such an impact.I wouldn't put one on my car. But that's just mine $0.02

Offline D andrews

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 08:41:08 am »
Had My Daughters car re- clipped  w/supports over the winter, Ran softer springs in the front, car seemed to handle just fine

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 03:54:55 pm »
I wonder how this will affect the handling on my autocross cars.
May have to try it out. Can always cut it off if I don't like it.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 01:18:54 pm »
On the autocross car, I would make the front clip as stiff as you can so that you can make suspension changes without having to worry about the chassis flexing.  You will not have to worry about regular contact with other cars or walls so the need for the front clip to fold up in a hit will not be as big of an issue.  If it was me, I would try to figure out how to add in a sway bar also since you do not have to stick with INEX rules. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 03:14:37 pm »
My thinking was the chassis flex also. And, as Mr. Andrews pointed out, it allows the use of softer springs. (Or that would be my thinking)
I already have a sway bar. Bought some mounts from Randy awhile back. The sway bar will allow me to run softer springs in the front also.
I'm kicking the idea around.

Steve

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 02:22:04 pm »
Don't forgot to mount that giant wing also.   ;)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 04:06:38 pm »
 ;D

Offline JGRacing

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 11:45:39 am »
Was just thinking about this and with a sway bar you would need that extra bracing or it will really be twisting the front clip.  I would go a step beyond the new INEX legal bracing.

anything