Author Topic: questions  (Read 14232 times)

Offline legendsracer95

questions
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:41:35 pm »
i would like to know how to bleed the clutch. and i had another question. my car isnt shifting properly. since i have put a new motor it does not like to get in any other gear besides 1st. it will get into other gears forcefully. thank you

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: questions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:54:25 am »
i would like to know how to bleed the clutch. and i had another question. my car isnt shifting properly. since i have put a new motor it does not like to get in any other gear besides 1st. it will get into other gears forcefully. thank you
to bleed the clutch i've heard just open up the bleed screw on it and let it gravity bleed, make sure when tightening it back up not to strip it out.  I'd bet your problem with the car not shifting out of 1st is the part that the shift adapter (block where the shifter connects to the motor) needs to be adjusted.  For my car to get it right i just took the bolt out and tried it on different settings, try to have the block parrallel to the ground and see if it works, if not try angling it up or down and see if that works.  To me it was almost a game of trying to get it on the right way.   

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 12:59:28 am »
to bleed the clutch i've heard just open up the bleed screw on it and let it gravity bleed, make sure when tightening it back up not to strip it out.  I'd bet your problem with the car not shifting out of 1st is the part that the shift adapter (block where the shifter connects to the motor) needs to be adjusted.  For my car to get it right i just took the bolt out and tried it on different settings, try to have the block parrallel to the ground and see if it works, if not try angling it up or down and see if that works.  To me it was almost a game of trying to get it on the right way.   

+1
You can also bleed it like you would brakes, but gravity is much less messy.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline legendsracer95

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:15:19 am »
thanks guys. do u think the rough shifting could also be caused by the clutch floating?
 and nor properly bled

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:20:18 pm »
Likely that it is as Dan and Jim suggested... Needs bled or the shift lever needs to move up or down a spline or two.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Hoopyboy

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 07:30:26 pm »
 Might want to crack the line coming out of the clutch master cylinder and check for air at that end first, bleed that end. I have ran across clutch master cylinders fail internally after years of moisture collection (condensation) inside pitting or oxydizing the piston walls or hardening the rubber piston cups. Many times any kind of air within the system will rise up to the point of the clutch master. Wouldn't rule that end of the spectrum out,  just quite yet. Many Legends owners never maintain the fluid within the clutch system on a normal schedule, if ever at all leaving fluid in the state of  breakdown. Rule of thumb in the bike industry is NOT to blead the clutch as you do brakes at the slave cylinder. Gravity bleeding is the way since the bleeder end is cut off for clearence of the driveshaft coupler. No nipple on the slave rules out the second best way to bleed a clutch system which is the use of a Vagula. Bleeding a slave like you do brakes, since the system has a low amount of fluid will leave air in the slave from natural reflex of the piston oring relaxing and drawing air back into the system, even if the pedal is depressed and before the bleeder is closed. In all honestly, my friend, I would open the bleeder, gravity bleed the entire system and refill with fresh fluid. Then bleed the master cylinder at the line. Next if need be, if the shift problem still exists, bleed the system at the slave while holding the pedal, then gravity bleed it once agian for a short spell and replentish the  master resivouir with fluid. If the unit still will not shift or shifting issues persist, try replacing the master cylinder with a known good one. Failure of satisfied shifting thereafter.... you will have to pull the clutch cover off and inspect the clutch pack. With heat demands on these clutches, a fiber disc may have 'froze' to a steel plate within the clutch pack, giving the sensation of a master or slave issue that does not exist..... I hope you find this info helpfull... I've seen it all in 30 years of the bike tech industry... nearly all anyway

~ Gimpster ~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 08:00:49 pm »
Thanks for the info Gimpster.

Steve

Hoopyboy

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:05:15 pm »
 Have to look at the whole picture since I'm not there to physically diagnose, Steve...
BTW, my apology for any diference in our views in the past, my friend..... let's move foreward, huh ?

~ Gimp ~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:03:57 am »
Gimpster,

I always enjoy your input on tech questions.

Steve

knoxracing

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 10:36:58 am »
Did I read that the issue started after a motor swap? It is possible you have the shift arm in the wrong position, make sure that there is no bind in the shift linkage in the engine area, the bell crank maybe in the wrong position due to the shift arm being attached at the wrong angle. i am getting in this topic a little late, so you may have already discussed this.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 10:43:55 am »
Dennis,

That is the way I was reading the question also. Hence, I am thinking the same direction.

Steve

Hoopyboy

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:07:28 pm »
 Kind of wish he would follow up on the initial post. I questioned the shift arm too but the arm needs to be lifted the same amount in each gear to clear the peaks on the starwheel which is bolted to the shift drum, in order for the detent roller to direct the drum into the next gear once the peak of the detent is cleared. My thought of diagnosis followed his initial sentence of the post, bleeding the system, as I take it for granted that he had the shift arm covered, and thought since the motor change he had air in the system. More than likely tried to bleed the clutch once and posted on here since it didn't work and asking advice in case he had done it wrong ? Kinda why I went into detail for other issues faarther in that he could have encountered when the clutch line was removed and reinstalled.
Haha, Steve.. one of these days I will have to stop following the rules of techno and get back into my witty humor, again... let racers figure this stuff out on their own LOL

~ Gimpy ~

Hoopyboy

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:11:26 pm »
 Forgot to mention in my last post, If he can get it into first, by rights he should be able to get it into the other gears because the neutral position seat for the detent is lower on the starwheel than the gearshift (star) peaks.... I been wrong before though

~ G ~

Offline 01MRMTransAm

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 11:33:32 am »
He told me last night that it was hard to shift, and also that he has to clutch it from 1st to 2nd. Anyone think this could be a shift fork issue? Just a thought, because we don't use the clutch for 1-2 anyway, so air in the clutch system shouldn't cause a shifting issue once moving, am I thinking correct?

Justin

Hoopyboy

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 03:16:46 pm »
 Anything is possable. I'll dig through my notes on these motors from the past 10 years. This lil health issue is messin with my memory. Got a feeling I ran across this before. I'll get back to you, unless someone else comes up with something in the meanwhile

~ Gimp ~