Author Topic: Ancient History  (Read 72861 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Ancient History
« on: September 01, 2007, 01:51:33 pm »
Alright, here is my latest crazy idea...
 I'm trying hard to get my Dwarf to the roller stage. I've got a  ton of parts collected; frame, body work, rear end, shocks, springs, etc... I'm still unsure as to when, and cost, of my wifes' upcoming surgery. Going rounds with insurance companies, Doctors, etc...  ::) My plan thus far is still to race SCCA auto-x, unless I can get the local track to try something "new". 
 My thoughts: I bought an "attempt" at a chassis from a neighbor. It uses old Datsun B210 suspension. While not as adjustable as the legends stuff, he did do a fair job of putting together the front end. Should I cut off the clip and weld it to my chassis; or should I hold out and go for a more "modern" set up?
 I've got a lot of time and $$$$ tied up in this project. Looking for some opinions. Any SCCA racers, or road course folks? Got some ideas? I'd be happy to hear them. I would appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Steve

PS

Clarence,
 Please don't tell me you have a car for sale "cheap"!!!

Sorry!!!      Just a little fun!

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
Re: Ancient History
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 12:32:03 am »
If you are serious, and want to win races then look away from factory stock stuff from the 70's. .  Search online for unequal length control arm kits for tube chassis.   There are a Ton of kits out there to get your front end setup right.
You have welding skills, so burning on the supplied tabs for the suspension will be no problem. 
Rear axle, look into the Suzuki samurai axle.  These are Very strong, not to wide,  and you can get disk brake conversions for them as well and a bunch of gear ratios, lockers, limited slip diffs and alloy axle shafts. 
A little suspension trick to making a car corner fast.  Leave only about 2" of upward suspension travel.  Either by bump stops or internal stops on the shocks.  However leave allot of travel for suspension droop.  This will ensure that your tires will at all times be on the pavement with out a ton a body roll.  This is done by getting coilovers that are just a bit longer than you need, and  setting them up  at near full compression. 
What rear suspension are you using?
Are you going to run coil springs, leaf springs or coilovers?
Tires?
Rims?
Pictures perhaps? :)

With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 03:50:28 am »
Thanks for the input!

I will be using a Toyota rear end. It is already set up for disc brakes. Running coilovers. Have four 8" Falcon wheels and two 7" wheels. Don't recall the offsets off the top of my head. Haven't decided on tires yet; maybe Hoosier. I'll check what others are using before I make that decision.

I'll try to get a few pics posted when I get the rear of the frame repaired.
 Long story!!! At one point  the car was stolen along with all my parts. I have since recovered the frame and body work (minus the trunk lid) and have been collecting parts. Anyway, I now have all the parts for rear section of the car except gears. Fuel cell, pump and filter are ready. Brake pedal assembly with dual Tilton master cylinders, balance bar and braided lines are collected. Seat, throttle pedal assembly and tons of misc. parts.
 Still hunting for steering gear, front suspension, brake calipers and engine. I could throw a VF 500 Honda engine in there, but would prefer an 1100 or larger. I'll have to see what my budget will allow.
 I've also got a lot of money tied up in my grandkids' go kart, and a mini trike ( a little play toy to zip back and forth to work). I work two jobs, both in health care, that tend to eat up 10 plus hours a day. I lack a garage, but have found some shop space to use this winter. Time is my greatest obsticle right now!

Email or PM me. I'm pretty serious about getting this project together. I Miss Racing!!!

Thanks Again!

Steve

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 02:58:52 am »
Check out  http://www.tirerack.com for your next set of slicks.
They will heat cycle the tires for you and shave them to race spec.   I have played with a few brands of slicks, however I raced rather portly cars.  So, any brand info I can give you may not be applicable to your ride. 
Its good to hear that you got the guts to your car back!   Frickin thieves.
All and all, you have a great start going there.   Its nice to hear that there is somebody out there who has a good game plan when it comes to building a car.
I have built a few tube chassis off road trucks and competed rather well with them.   If you need any help finding parts, or need some sponsorship for your ride, drop me a line.  I still have some pull with a few custom parts shops.  Ill see If I can get you some stuff for you car in exchange for a few stickers on the fenders.
Sling me some pictures when you get them in
pegalis@earthlink.net

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 01:24:52 pm »
 That tire site is great! Lots of info and tech stuff.

As for my build plan; I've always wanted to build a car from the ground up. I didn't just want to weld on brackets to bolt some racing parts to. I have a pretty good library on chassis design, suspension and such. I figured I'd just go for it!
 I started several years ago. It's a copy of the old Dwarf Car Products frame. The cage follows the lines of the '40 Ford Coupe. My tin work could be a little better, but it doesn't look too bad.
 I started out just buying whatever parts I could find. Since I got the car back , I decided it would be better to just start at one end of the car and work towards the other. I'm making much better progress with this approach. I wonder if maybe I should have started at the front. Oh well, too late now.
 They used Toyota, Datsun and Chevette suspension in those days. The Toyota rear has stuck around, and there are better options available for gears. The chassis I bought has Datsun B 210 stuff on it. The Dwarf Cars allow more options for adjustability than the Legends Cars. But I kind of like the idea of a uniform chassis to save money. Most of my bracketry will have multiple holes for mounting points. Otherwise, I am trying to follow the Legends Car approach to my build.
 I could ramble on on this forever. I'm enjoying the building process. When I get a bit farther along, I will need to pick your brain. I appreciate your input.
 I'll post a couple of pics when I get time to resize them. You'll really get a laugh out of the three wheeler rear end that was "vandalized" under it. Hench the need to repair the rear of the frame. Thieves have no respect for what they steal. I Don't think they had any idea what it was. Just thought it was a big go kart.
 As for sponsorship; there are a lot of people on this site more deserving than myself. It always helps to get parts (new or used) free, or at a reduced cost. I'll take all the help I can get in that department! I guess I'll have to buy some fenders!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I appreciate your input and help.

Take Care,

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 05:02:45 am »
Update:
 Pegalis has given me some Great ideas to get me motivated again! As have Al and Geoff.

THANKS GUYS!!!

Steve

PS
 I'll update as I move forward. ;)

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 04:57:13 pm »
No problem  8). I wish I could help you more.

Geoff

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 12:09:04 pm »
Pic

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 03:54:11 am »
Update:
 Now have my front suspension figured out. Who would have thought to use the "keep it simple" train of thought.  :o Maybe I should get more sleep, rather than spend time overthinking everything.  :-[ :o ::) I'm going to graft the front end from the chassis I bought, and change the a-arms over to ones that use rod ends. Will be a cheap fix. Won't fly with the INEX, but should work fine for SCCA.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 05:29:45 am »
 I'm starting to think that maybe I could use the chassis with the a-arms to build my SCCA car. I haven't cut the front end off, "yet", to graft to my '40 Ford chassis. I'm just not crazy about the boxy look of the Chevy Sedan. I would also have to fab body work. Though I do have better ideas on how to do that now. I did the best with what I had at the time.
 This whole "building from the ground up" thing can get quite frustrating. I'm still sticking with my "one section at a time" approach. Even though I haven't had a lot of time lately; I've gotten some Great Ideas from everyone. Helps me keep focused.
 My THANKS to All!

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 08:46:03 pm »
New update:
 Bought all new front suspension. Still going with the a-arm approach. Going to look into purchasing those teflon lined rod ends that Pegalis told me to try.

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 10:07:47 pm »
 Now have what amounts to a full containment seat. Also brake proportioning valves and gauges, braided lines.
Steering Wheel and quick disconnect, 1st part of steering shaft.  Lots shocks and springs.
Things are coming together nicely! Just have to find someone that understands what I'm trying to put together to weld it all up for me.

Steve

PS
 I'll post pics as things move forward

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 12:34:51 am »
Man, sounds like its all coming together!   I wish that I lived near ya. I have a tube bender, tube notchers, and mig/tig welders.

I am so looking forward to seeing how your car turns out :)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 03:34:24 am »
 I could sure use you for a neighbor!  ;D
You've already given me so much useful information. And pointed me in a more focused, and positive direction.
My next big purchase is going to be engine. That VF 500 just isn't where I need to be. My KZ 750 was stolen, so I'm just SOL. Wish I'd had the money to get that 900 from you. Saving my nickles and dimes. Going for 1000 - 1300cc.

How's your project coming along?
If anything like your offroad stuff; I'll bet it will be Awesome!

Think I may have found someone to do the welding. I want to pose my mini trike project to him. IF he can do what I need, at a reasonable price............... I'll pitch the race car his way. Who knows; might be able to talk him into a sponsorship!  ???

I've gotten alot of great info. and encouragement from everyone on the site. Even bought a few parts, as I was able to. I'll update pics when I can. Snow and Cold is my biggest problem this week.  :'(

Steve

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 02:44:22 am »
My little project is moving along.  Im starting to get some sponsor's lined up. I'm constructing a webpage as we speak, err, type.   www.farbeyondriven.net
My new e-mail: farbeyondriven@earthlink.net

So begins the legends project of Team Far Beyond Driven.  On road or off, driven to the edge :)

It seems that quite a few motorsports mag's are interested in this little build.  I have four that now want a full write up. One that wants to be there on the first test and tune day at the local track, and a group of folks on youtube who are chomping at the bit for the first videos. 

The frame needs some major tube work, additional gussets and cross members. Its never been wrecked, but man, are legends chassis flexy.  The first test and tune day may not be a race ready car. More of a 'will this thing handle the power' day. 
Ill be honest, I'm a little scared of it already ;)  And so far, its just a bunch of parts.    So, as of yet, its months away.

By the by, that v8 bronco II is doing quite well.  He is having far to much fun pissing off the ricer crowd.  Its not my thing But hey,  A V8 in anything that didnt have it from the factory is fun!

If you save your pennies, I can get you a built 1400 cc busa' engine for 4k ish.  200 hp ;)  Or a 900 cc ninja engine for $700