Author Topic: Won't Shift Under Load?  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Cspidle90

Won't Shift Under Load?
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:06:19 pm »
Having an issue with shifting. In the pits with the engine off the car shifts beautifully by rocking the car back an forth. Also while racing as long as the clutch is pushed in. However the car will not shift without using the clutch.

For example coming out of 4 to take the green usually we just left off the gas, pop it in the next gear and get right back on the gas. As of late the shifter doesn't even budge when you left off the gas (almost as if its bound up). If you use the clutch it shifts fine.

Tonight put the car on the stands and fired it up with setup blocks under the rear. Car seems to shift just fine without using the clutch like it used to.

Take it off the stands and drive it down the road again it doesn't wanna shift without the clutch.

My question is what would cause this? No bounds in linkage both on and off the ground. When driving it down the road I was sure I was completely off the gas and that the car wasn't under load.

Engine is a 1200 about 30 races on it

Spidle Motorsports #09
Central PA Legends

Offline Legends57x

Re: Won't Shift Under Load?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 08:07:23 am »
First thing I would check for is a broken or worn engine mount. Either will cause engine to shift in chassis under load possibly causing binding in your shift linkage.
Hope this helps!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Won't Shift Under Load?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:31:14 pm »
As already mentioned, make sure the right side motor mount did not break and the engine has fallen down.

Also, does it have a aluminum or steel shift lever?

Randy - RPM