Author Topic: Seat mounting question  (Read 6652 times)

Offline MG173

Seat mounting question
« on: September 29, 2016, 01:52:41 pm »
I bought a 37 chevy sedan about 2 months ago and have been going through the car getting it ready to get some seat time in the winter (I'm in Arizona so no such thing as winter  ;D) and I have almost everything squared away except for the seat. The car came with a full containment kirkey 20 degree layback seat and it's positioned all the way back on the rear fire wall. Now, when I sit in it and am strapped in I can't reach the ignition switch or starter button and I'm staring at the sky.

I know the rules say when moving a seat forward to use a block of aluminum or steel but what about moving the seat higher so I can see? is there a bracket I should get welded to the floor pan or what can I do to fix this?

Thanks! Micaela

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Seat mounting question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 02:29:06 pm »
Here is a thread you should look at. Might give you some ideas.
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=514.msg3940#msg3940

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline MG173

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 05:02:37 pm »
I think I get what he is saying and i'll have to try it out. Are there any current rules about how you mount the bottom of your seat?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 04:54:19 am »
Basically, Get the seat in a comfortable position for you.
You can mock it up using phone books, wood blocks, Whatever you need to do.
The full containment seat IS the way to go. Safety First!

I get that whoever you bought the car from was most likely taller than you.
Did you look at the diagram of how he set up his front bottom mount?

I run a different series than you do. My seat mount goes from frame rail to frame rail. Similar to the design posted. And YES, I think that this is the way to go. Seat mount needs to be welded between the frame rails.

On the rule about using a block (steel or aluminum) behind the seat... Think about it. I have seen people mount tubes that go directly into the back of the seat. Kind of mounting a spear behind your back. I would think this isn't your best bet from a safety point of view.

To get your seat to a correct layback angle, you may need to buy a different seat or adjust your mounts. As I have not seen your fit in the car, I can not tell you. What you describe tells me the angle of the seat will not work for you. "Staring at the sky" is not a good fit. If you are strapped in properly; Yes, it will be hard to reach the ignition switches. You can always relocate those if necessary. Or add extensions to the switches.

In similar train of thought; Build your seat mounts higher so you "can see".

Steve

Offline Jason Treschl Racing

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 07:47:11 am »
It's fairly common to have to use extensions or move the switches. Make sure you get the seat in as comfortable position as you can since these cars aren't exactly comfortable to begin with. Also, the lower you can bear the better (my seat is mounted on the floor and i'm only 5'7).
Jason Treschl
#31 Semi Pro
2015 New Senoia Raceway Track Champion-Dirt Legends of GA

Offline MG173

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 10:26:05 am »
Thanks for the ideas. I think I will stick with how its mounted in the thread you posted. Do you think a 10 degree layback would be a better choice? And as for the blocks behind the seat, I need to scoot the seat forward maybe 1.5 inches. Do I just need a rectangular sized block with 2 holes drilled through the middle that line up with the current holes in the back of the seat?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 02:28:01 pm »
Here is a link to Kirkey for seat installations:
https://www.kirkeyracing.com/page/installation
Hope that helps you.

Steve

anything