Author Topic: Caster and Camber  (Read 10964 times)

Offline Legend732

• Kris Krabill Racing
Caster and Camber
« on: March 15, 2018, 08:47:27 pm »
NEED HELP BAD!!!!!

I just keep chasing my tail.  First thing I did was square the rearend.  Once I had the rearend square, I set the caster (+0) left and (+3) rt and then set the camber (.5) lft and (-4) rt.  I then adjust my lower A arm and top arm to get my wheelbase correct (73")rt side and (73 1/8") lft side.  If I have to long or short of a wheelbase, I take the upper heim and adjust it in or out and adjust the lower heim. (1 turn on top and 2 turns equally on lower.  This adjusts to get the correct wheelbase.  At that point I go back and my caster and camber have changed.  So then I adjust those back to the numbers above and check my wheelbase I am off again on wheelbase. I have been going back and forth and cannot get it to work for me??????

What am I doing wrong??????

Appreciate any insight

Funny car driver looking to race a Legend

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Caster and Camber
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 12:59:51 am »
Are you setting your wheelbase and then setting (in order) Caster, camber, toe?
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legend732

• Kris Krabill Racing
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 01:22:03 am »
Yes, I have set the wheelbase, then caster and camber.  When I adjust the caster and camber then my wheelbase is off and vise versa.  I have not gotten to setting the toe because i cant get the first steps right.  What am I doing wrong??? Thanks

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:01:15 am »
Perhaps this video may help you:

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legend732

• Kris Krabill Racing
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 11:17:51 am »
Thanks for sharing.  I will attempt again. 

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 11:23:37 am »
You mentioned as stated in your reply "If I have too long or short of a wheelbase, I take the upper heim and adjust it in or out and adjust the lower heim. (1 turn on top and 2 turns equally on lower." This does not sound right to me. When I adjusted front end for wheel base, I would turn both lower trailing arm heim and upper radius heim equal amount of turns in or out where they attach to frame. If you adjust top heim one turn and bottom 2 turns, yes, caster and camber will change. Otherwise, most of your set points look to be OK, but I would suggest adding a little more camber to RF, 5-6°, if you're running on asphalt. Hope this helps!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 02:24:50 pm »
The Lower A Arm adjusts Wheel Base, the upper adjusts caster. By moving both you will drive yourself crazy. Caster is the tilt the spindle, adjusting the upper A arm doesn't move the wheel.

Just make sure you bounce and roll the car 6 inches back and forth to ensure nothing is bound when you make the adjustment. Then re-check your measurement.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline Legend732

• Kris Krabill Racing
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 02:52:36 am »
Thanks for the great replies Z force

Offline Legend732

• Kris Krabill Racing
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 02:53:59 am »
You mentioned as stated in your reply "If I have too long or short of a wheelbase, I take the upper heim and adjust it in or out and adjust the lower heim. (1 turn on top and 2 turns equally on lower." This does not sound right to me. When I adjusted front end for wheel base, I would turn both lower trailing arm heim and upper radius heim equal amount of turns in or out where they attach to frame. If you adjust top heim one turn and bottom 2 turns, yes, caster and camber will change. Otherwise, most of your set points look to be OK, but I would suggest adding a little more camber to RF, 5-6°, if you're running on asphalt. Hope this helps!

Very much helps, thanks a bunch

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 02:51:17 am »
10-4 man,

This site was my saving grace when I started 3 years ago. I'm glad I can start helping.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

anything