Author Topic: Engine Tempatures  (Read 5480 times)

Offline sandoval.diego88

Engine Tempatures
« on: December 08, 2017, 11:32:24 am »
Hello everyone, I'm new to Legends racing so I am almost clueless on this sport.
So my question for today is, what is a "normal" operating temperatures for the Engine? Just need a base line range to go off of. Thank you!

Offline Legends57x

Re: Engine Tempatures
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:26:24 pm »
Sorry, but more information is needed before we can answer your question. First, are you racing dirt or asphalt? What body style car do you have? Where are you located? Sealed or open engine? Oil filter on engine or remote? Any fans on engine? Lots of variables that can affect oil temps as you can see.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 05:48:51 am »
Mark brings up good questions. Engine and oil temps will be affected by all of the things he is asking.

I am going to assume that you are using an oil temp gauge to gauge the temperature of your engine.
Obviously, this is not an accurate measure. You would likely need something like an infrared laser thermometer to tell the actual engine temperatures.
Tecnicalities aside; Remember that these are air cooled engines. Air must flow across the engine to help cool it. To aid engine cooling, things like oil coolers, fans, etc... are used.

With that said, "What is a "normal" operating temperature for the engine?" I don't really know.
For the purposes of engine maintenance, warm up the engine (at idle) for 10 - 15 minutes. Take a reading of your oil temperature. That should give you a "normal operating temperature".

Under racing conditions, things change quickly! Oil temps can shoot upwards of 300 degrees, depending on how hard you are pushing the car and how much cooling the engine is getting.

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question; But best answer I have for you.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline sandoval.diego88

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 08:54:31 pm »
Thank you guys,

Racing on asphalt, coupe 1200, remote oil filter, one fan blowing into the cilenders.
Temp gauge reads past 300 degrees quickly so we don't practice much. Like any person who knows their daily driver vehicle when temps goes past 240 something wrong. But since I know nothing about motorcycle engines or Legends for that matter we stay very cautious. The more I read and do my research the more fun we have with this sport.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 11:25:35 pm »
That does seem rather hot for practice laps. What was the air temperature when you were running your laps? (Hence, the question about where you are located?) What nose (grill) do you have on the car? A lot of guys running the '34 body style switch the front bodywork (grill, fenders and hood) to the '37 body style. This allows a bit more air in the front of the car to aid cooling the engine. Are you running an oil cooler(s) and getting good air flow through it? Do you have the front air scoop installed on your car? This helps with air flow to the oil cooler. I know this may sound like a silly question; But is your fan blowing the right direction? Is your fan a single bilge pump type (3" or 4") fan, or the larger overhead type? Where is the oil temp being taken from? (oil pan or somewhere in line) Another trick to aid cooling is to raise the back of the hood slightly (no more than 1/2" per rule book).

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the research end of the sport. So much to learn!
A lot of good information in the thread here on the site. It pays to read through them before you have a problem. ;)

Steve

Offline sandoval.diego88

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 09:19:24 pm »
Little background about the car before I bought it two months ago.
This car was one of the top cars 3 years ago in New Mexico before the teen driver got into a really bad accident. After that the car was sold to a guy in Oregon where I don't know how long it sat. I bought it off of him and the car started up quickly and ran great.

So this car is for my son and he's 12, He was doing quarter midgets when we decide to make the leap to Legends. He is learning to put it into gear and go! He is getting the hang of it, hes going in first gear about 3 to 4 hundred rpm in circles the size of a small soccer field. So he's not going as fast. And this is where out time is limited practice since the temperature get high after 5 to 10 minutes.

So to answer questions

37 grill, fenders
4inch fan blowing into the first cilender
Air blows through the bottom of the grill into the oil cooler with remote oil filter.
Don't know where the temp is being read
We practice between 35 and 43 degree. We live in Seattle Washington

Thanks for all the help

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 12:42:56 am »
Thank you for providing more information

I am thinking that it is getting hot because not enough cool air is getting to the engine due to running low speeds and in first gear.
I think under actual racing speeds, and gear, there will be more air circulating around the engine.
Adding another 4" fan over the other cylinders could be a plus for added cooling. Or get rid of the small fan and put in a 9"- 10" fan that would blow more air over the entire top of the engine.
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/apps/webstore/products/show/7423458
http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TopEndCooler&cat=27
Perhaps adding a top end oilier if you don't already have on e installed.
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2733316

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 03:10:38 am »
I have a contact for you over in Kent. Check your messages.

Steve

Offline Legends16

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 09:52:48 am »
Hello sandoval.diego88,

Welcome to Legends. 300 degrees is oil temp? One thing to keep in mind that the oil temperature gauges in theses cars isn't accurate for actual temperature. I was once told by a very reputable engine builder Hank Scott that those gauges can be off as much at 90 degrees. With that said I run one in my Sedan merely as a reference point.  I'm not dismissing that 300 degrees doesn't require some attention though, that's a little hot.

The oil temp gauge picks up the temp on the front of the oil pan (underneath the clutch cover that says Yamaha). Theres usually a single yellow wire running to it.

What are you running as far as an oil cooler? As far as engine fans go, HSR sells a nice fan setup that bolts to the top of the engine. Just keep in mind with that you would need a 1250 style valve cover.

Keep in mind that the back of the engine by the firewall builds the most heat in these cars. If you running a fan on the top of the engine on the first two cylinders (closest to the grill) I would move the fan to the back two cylinders.

High temps could also be the result that your not going very fast getting enough airflow but IMO it sound like more going on. That's definably a recipe for high engine temps.

What jumps out at me immediately when I read this is your carburetor jetting. Do you have an info on your carbs, who built them? Is there any labels or marking on the top of them to indicate what jet is in there? This will make a very big difference in engine temps. What sort of climate are you running in? Is it hot? I would start here.

Typically my car runs in the 260ish range in the new England weather, a little hotter in the summer when its hot.

Best of Luck!

Eric