Author Topic: Brake Update  (Read 85029 times)

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
Re: Brake Update
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2013, 03:03:24 pm »
Bed the pads????

Robert

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2013, 03:26:28 pm »
Hi Robert,

Bedding in the pads is a process of heat cycles. Some slower laps and lighter braking and faster laps with some heavier braking.
Process has been around since someone put disc brakes on a dinosaur. And before anyone makes jokes about that; Yes! I have been around that long. Had to ride my dinosaur 5 miles to school, uphill both ways. ;) I even do it on my street vehicles. NO... Not still driving to school 5 miles uphill both ways. I have never had any brake fade or brake issues with pads.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2013, 10:16:01 pm »
make sure you turn the rotors prior to new pads as well, I had an issue last year where I threw new pads on with different compounds without touching the rotors and had bad break fade in the race.  I turned the rotors and didn't have an issue after that.

Dan

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2013, 07:05:00 am »
Robert,

Here is a link to the process of bedding the pads and rotors:
http://www.wilwood.com/Pdf/Miscs/Pad_and_Rotor_Bedding_Steps.pdf

Steve

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2013, 09:57:40 am »
Great info Steve

Thanks,
Robert

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2013, 10:05:03 am »
Stuff I have ALWAYS done and don't really think about. I do this on race cars and street vehicles.
It IS a good idea to turn the rotors when replacing pads. This, I have not always done.  :-[
It is good stuff to know for those new to racing; Or those that wonder why their brake pads/rotors don't last long.
The process has worked for me.

Steve

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2013, 10:23:37 am »
besides scuffing the tires during warm up laps we also warm the brakes up as stated in that article. I don't know if we can enough time to go through the complete bedding process though. We would have to give up a practice session to do that.

Robert

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2013, 10:40:05 am »
besides scuffing the tires during warm up laps we also warm the brakes up as stated in that article. I don't know if we can enough time to go through the complete bedding process though. We would have to give up a practice session to do that.

Robert

Something you can do in a parking lot or at practice. Just heating and cooling cycles.

Steve

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2013, 11:32:13 am »
Just an observation that I saw on one of my teammates cars. He had some rubbing on the top of the caliper from a older set of wheels that he put on. It put a 1/4" deep scar on the caliper. I would check the clearance on the wheel before running. There might have been more to the story but just reporting you what I saw. 
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2013, 11:42:18 am »
Good point Scott! I just asumed there was enough wheel clearance with the new calipers. A good thing to check.
Thanks!

Steve

Offline chris26

« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2013, 04:34:49 pm »
i had the same rubbing problem on my calipers. calpers dont hit spinning the wheel in the shop but i guess the wheels flex a little on the track. Greg our teck guy at Concord is going to find out what we can do about it. i dont see any reason a small spacer wont be allowed because you still have to fit through gauge.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2013, 08:11:32 pm »
Are you sure the spindle pin is tight and not moving within the spindle?

If the spindle pin can move in the base the flex is only at the wheel as the caliper is directly mounted to the spindle base and not moving.

We see the spindle pin coming loose frequently in road racing. It is one of the bolts that gets touched at every nut & bolt. Long corners and speeds over 100mph put stress on a lot of things the oval guys never experience.

Also I do not use loc-tite because the bolt will feel tight but still be loose.

The cast spindle body is the softest point and they are just mushrooming; that is why the forged based had to be made...

It would also be interesting to see the wheel(s) that are rubbing as to reference the center bead area, can you take a couple of pictures?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

knoxracing

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2013, 08:13:19 pm »
Do you all know what wheels were rubbing (brand). Just curious whats going on?

Offline chris26

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2013, 11:25:10 pm »
Right now i have the trap wheels on. i have some bassets on my other car with older tires i am going to switch to and see if there is more clearance. i will check the spindles also

knoxracing

« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2013, 08:17:14 am »
Ya I  certainly would look things over, if they were clear in the air it seems like there should be no  deflection as everything is rigidly attached to each other. Make sure the main 5/8 spindle bolt is tight as well as the ball joints. I REGULARLY push and pull on the wheels of Legends cars when they are lifted on quick jacks. I find LOTS of stuff all the time. Never the less it would be good to hear whats up, you never know what will develop with new stuff.