Author Topic: INEX Red Box  (Read 11254 times)

Offline keadams

INEX Red Box
« on: February 27, 2011, 05:12:13 pm »
Good afternoon,
I have determined that I have a bad red box. I was wondering if anyone has ever had these reapired and if so where and if not do you simply throw them out and buy another one for $215.00? Please let me know.
Thanks
Kevin

knoxracing

Re: INEX Red Box
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:28:45 pm »
Send it back to dynatek in California. They will help you.

Offline keadams

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:34:36 pm »
Thanks, I will give them a call tomorrow.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 07:58:57 pm »
Kevin,
You can also advertise that you are looking for one on LegendsRacer (in the appropriate section). I've seen a few for sale here over the past years. I see them on eBay every so often. Racingjunk.com is another place to check. Other than sending it back to the company, there is nobody else I know of that repairs them.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:30:41 am »
You can send it back and get it fixed for about 150 bucks is the norm.  IF you run a Red box it is best to get that one rebuilt and buy a new one.  They do go bad and it is nice to be able to swap one out at the track...I have one in the shop that has to go back for a rebuild too
Dave

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:50:25 pm »
On Saturday with 5 laps to go the car died way down coming down the back stretch and if i pushed the pedal down it would just pop so I made it back into the pits and got out. Put a different red box on and fired right up and reved way up. By that time it was too late to get back in the car and go back out. So tonight I thought I would try the old red box again and so I started it up reved it way up and kept doing that and it was fine. Last year I had a loose wire in the plug that plugs into the red box and caused me alot of troubles till I figured it out. I'm wondering if maybe a wire came a little loose and when I plugged the other red box in, then I had good connection again? I know you cant pull those wires right out of that plug cause theres little clips that hold each wire in but is there a way to hold those wires in tighter because couple of mine are really loose. I talked to the guy at dynatek and he said if a box is bad then it will stay bad and wont be bad only sometimes. Thanks for the help.

Offline thunder938

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:00:09 am »
when I had a red box go bad it would only run on 2, but every few starts it would sound good and run on 4??  The dealer advised that when the box goes it has something to do with the way the box powers on and yes it could come and go.  Put a new box on and it was fixed
Dave

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:21:52 pm »
Do you know of any way to keep the wires more snug in the plug?

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 01:40:28 pm »
Mine recently went bad too.  Was idling perfect in shop for a few minutes and suddenly cylinders #2 & #3 dropped out.  Shutdown, restarted, still on two cyl's. Unplugged and replugged in red box, ran on all four cylinders for 15-20 minutes. Shutdown, came out next day same crap, running on only two cylinders.  Investigated all including reseting triggers correctly, coil primary resistances, coil tower out resistances,wiring harness, etc.  All was fine except for poorly crimped and installed plug wires into coils.  Finally installed 6-7 year old Red box from our other car, ran 5 practics runs of 8-10 laps, ran perfect.  Removed that Red box and installed on original car, now that car is down two cylinders when it ran perfect prior to swap. Looked closer at my box and found some discoloration on two of the terminals that looked like some sort  of arcing(dark gray in color).  Sent this box into Dynatek over a week ago and they reported yesterday that they cannot find anything wrong with it.  So short of spending $285 for a new Red box, I am not sure what else to do.  Warren Ropp(Iowa INEX dealer) bought a used car, started it in shop, idled great for a few minutes, and he suddenly lost two cylinders also.  He fixed his with new Red box also.  So, now we have four Red boxes within two weeks that have failed.  I am seriously considering a stock ignition system as the Red box system does not seem be very reiliable.  :'(
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 05:08:58 pm »
hmm so maybe its good i've got the old black box?  ::)

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 07:30:49 pm »
Depends on who you ask.
I run black boxes
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 08:25:27 pm »
Heres the email i received from Dynatek.

Brandon.
We can certainly still examine and test the modules for you.
However, if testing does not reveal any issues, we do not arbitrarily replace them at no charge.
If we find any problem, we will indeed replace any unit under warranty.
Should you have a unit out of warranty but not exhibiting any defined issues during testing, we can arrange to replace it at the reduced price of $123.00.
The place to start is to get them back for testing.
Larry Nelson
Technical Support
Dynatek