Author Topic: Suspension Component Nomenclature Clarification  (Read 5626 times)

Offline Postmortem

Suspension Component Nomenclature Clarification
« on: November 21, 2016, 10:05:06 am »
There is a lot of useful information on this forum regarding chassis/suspension setup and adjustments.  What is confusing for me and most likely, many others, is the use of several terms for the same suspension component in describing chassis set up.  For example, the INEX rule book refers to "radius rods" of several lengths, while others may be calling these control arms, trailing arms, tie rods, panhard bars, third links, lower links, etc.  It would be very helpful if someone were define, with one term, the individual suspension components and their location on the chassis.  Maybe it is just me, but it causes confusion and speculation as to where the parts are on the car.  Love this forum.  Thanks

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Suspension Component Nomenclature Clarification
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:56:22 pm »
Thank You for my giggle of the day!
You have to love the English language. All the dialects and slang tend to make for miscommunications. I chat with racers in 7 different countries. Makes life interesting!

Radius rods (trailing arms, lower links), Upper link (third link) and panhard bar (track bar) all relate to the rear end (rear axle). They locate the rear axle housing in the chassis (frame).
Control arms (A-arms)(Don't forget that there are upper and lower.), tie rods, rack and pinion steering unit (rack-n-pinion, steering box) refer to front suspension and steering assemblies.

Don't get me started on the difference between a motor and an engine!!!

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Postmortem

Re: Suspension Component Nomenclature Clarification
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 09:02:40 am »
Thanks for the quick reply Steve, much appreciated and now clarified.

Todd

anything