Author Topic: Looking for setup  (Read 19464 times)

Offline Lenny

Looking for setup
« on: June 03, 2007, 11:19:54 am »
My son is 160 lbs and drives a 37 Sedan.  His car is very loose in the corners and appears to about to have the right rear swing out to the right in the middle and on the exist of the 1/3 track.  Can someone recommend a setup that we could try?  We are thing of adding more weight on the left side.  Our tire pressure is 18's on left and 23 on right.

Thanks

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking for setup
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 11:49:58 am »
Lenny,
 Check the thread "A good start", also try Loosenuts Racing site. Some good info on setup.
 Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 03:10:41 pm »
Have you squared the rear end?   What springs do you have and what are your scale numbers?  Assuming there are no major setup boo boos, my first guess would be that you are trailing the RR.  Make sure your rear housing is square to the chassis.  It is likely that you will need to shorten the RR radius rod.  But watch your wheel base numbers.  You may need to lengthen the LR radius rod instead.  Here's a how to link  http://www.kevscorner.com/Home/RearSquaring.htm

My Second guess would be that you need more cross.

Third guess would be both.

The guy at the following web address has a good setup manual.

http://www.kevscorner.com/

Also read:
http://charlesking.net/Legends-Cars.html   That's the link to "loose nuts"
http://www.legendsforce.com/chasis.htm  That's the link to Legendsforce

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 07:29:32 pm »
My son weight is about the same ( 165 lbs. ), the front springs we believe are to heavy ( 275RF, 250LF ) so we're going to 225RF and 200LF...I'd have to check the log book to see what are last tire presuure was.

Al
POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 03:14:24 pm »
Darkage,

250 LF and 275 RF is a VERY common setup. If you feel this is making the car too tight for you, i would recommend a slight wedge adjustment first. What cross are you running? you should be in the 49.2-49.8 % range. Also, what are you running in the rear? I would not try the 200 LF 225 RF as it will make the car scary loose on exit. Feel free to try it, but that is what I have seen in the past. If you must change to lower front springs, I would go in baby steps, such as 225 250 first.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 08:46:49 pm »
legends13, cross weight is 47%, rear springs are RR200 and LR185.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 01:29:35 pm »
Darkage,

Are you running dirt or asphalt? I can't say for dirt, but if you are running asphalt, bring the cross up to about 49.6%. 47% is to low, and is likely the reason you are unhappy with the feel of the car. Also, what are your ride heights? if you don't know how to measure these, park the car someplace as smooth and level as possible and measure the frame height off the ground at a point just behind where the rear fender meets the running board and also in the front, measure just rearward of where the kickups on the front clip come down to the main frame rails. (be sure you have your air pressures set before measuring the heights)

Where are you located and where are you racing?

If you need any specific help, feel free to give me a call. 585-721-1795 anytime after 5pm eastern.

Brad
Brad Salatino

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 10:51:45 pm »
Lenny,

Is  your son loose in or loose off?? If loose in put a half round in the LR, if loose off put a half round in the right rear, make smalll changes and try one thing and write it down that way you can go back if the changes make things worse.

Mike.

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 05:11:19 am »
Darkage,

Are you running dirt or asphalt? I can't say for dirt, but if you are running asphalt, bring the cross up to about 49.6%. 47% is to low, and is likely the reason you are unhappy with the feel of the car. Also, what are your ride heights? if you don't know how to measure these, park the car someplace as smooth and level as possible and measure the frame height off the ground at a point just behind where the rear fender meets the running board and also in the front, measure just rearward of where the kickups on the front clip come down to the main frame rails. (be sure you have your air pressures set before measuring the heights)

Where are you located and where are you racing?

If you need any specific help, feel free to give me a call. 585-721-1795 anytime after 5pm eastern.

Brad

Brad,

We run asphalt only, I don't have the ride heights in front of me now but I'll get them later today.....located/run in Michigan.

Thanks,
Al

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 09:54:29 am »
Lenny,

Is  your son loose in or loose off?? If loose in put a half round in the LR, if loose off put a half round in the right rear, make smalll changes and try one thing and write it down that way you can go back if the changes make things worse.

Mike.

I disagree. Adding a half a round to the RR will not help a loose off condition, it will make it worse. If you are loose off, take a half round out of the RR, not add it. A stiffer RR will make the car loose. A stiffer LR will tighten it.

Brad Salatino

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 11:46:34 am »
Brad, I decided to go with 225 LF and a 250 RF as you mentioned, here's what I have so far.
LF225  RF250
LR185 RR200

Ride Height
LF3 5/8"  RF3 3/4"
LR4 1/16" RR 4 3/16"

Tire pressure,
LF22 lb  RF30 lb
LR15 lb  RR30 lb

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 12:46:06 pm »
ride heights are pretty good. I Run about what you have listed, however I run a 34 coupe. with a sedan you may be able to go a little lower in the rear, down to 3 3/4 LR and 4 RR, but what you have listed is pretty good. Just depends on feel. If the car seems to roll over to much, lower the rear a tad. If it feels ok, leave em where they are.

Tire pressure I would say ask whoever is cutting them what they recommend. I typically run 20 on the Left and 26 on the right, but your tire guy may suggest something else. One thing I will say is don't adjust the car with air pressures. It takes about 5 psi change to make the same change as 1 round of wedge. set em and keep em at the same pressure. (check em everytime you go on the track to adjust for temp change and buildup from previous runs.)

Also, when you scale the car, make sure you always check the air pressures and fill the fuel tank before you scale it. That is how the car will go on the track, so scale it the same way.

Another tip a lot of guys don't do, is fill the fuel after every run, even if it is only a 8 lap practice. That way you keep the weight the same. The car will get tighter as you burn off fuel, so the more often you keep it full, the more consistent it will be.
Brad Salatino

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 10:37:29 pm »
A little follow up, I took Brads ( legends13  ) advise on the set up and we couldn't be more happy with the results. In one of Brads replies he said  "  go in baby steps ", that's good advice for us that don't really know all that much about these cars.
Later,
Al

Offline tnlmscdriver28

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 05:36:42 am »
when i had a legends i ran a sedan and when i tried a coupe setup my car was way too free   i had to run a lil higher cross and higher in the rear on ride heighths but the key is to keep a consistant balanbce on the car and try to go out on the track every time withe the sme fuel load like you said.  and once you find a setup that works dont mess with it i found out the hard way....it cost me a few races

ride heights are pretty good. I Run about what you have listed, however I run a 34 coupe. with a sedan you may be able to go a little lower in the rear, down to 3 3/4 LR and 4 RR, but what you have listed is pretty good. Just depends on feel. If the car seems to roll over to much, lower the rear a tad. If it feels ok, leave em where they are.

Tire pressure I would say ask whoever is cutting them what they recommend. I typically run 20 on the Left and 26 on the right, but your tire guy may suggest something else. One thing I will say is don't adjust the car with air pressures. It takes about 5 psi change to make the same change as 1 round of wedge. set em and keep em at the same pressure. (check em everytime you go on the track to adjust for temp change and buildup from previous runs.)

Also, when you scale the car, make sure you always check the air pressures and fill the fuel tank before you scale it. That is how the car will go on the track, so scale it the same way.

Another tip a lot of guys don't do, is fill the fuel after every run, even if it is only a 8 lap practice. That way you keep the weight the same. The car will get tighter as you burn off fuel, so the more often you keep it full, the more consistent it will be.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 02:50:09 pm »
Legends 13 you are mistaken his kid is loose off because he is tight in the center and has to turn the wheel to make the car turn, when it finally gets
traction its snapping the back end out, putting a half round to one round in the rightwill looen the car in the center and make it turn in the center, the loose condition on exit should help, if you put more than a round in the right rear it may be time to put a half round in the left front, you cant keep jacking up the right rear, it will throw the cross weight off.

anything