Author Topic: Street Gears  (Read 8376 times)

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
Street Gears
« on: June 03, 2017, 09:12:16 pm »
I am real close to having a Legend street rod but it still drives like a race car and I want it more like a Rolls Royce. To get it moving it takes a lot of RPM's, it is almost a burn the tires or stall it situation. I have no idea what gears are in it but they are way too tall for my needs. I would like to have a top end of 70 to 80 MPH Max and easier starts from dead stop.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Street Gears
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:55:49 pm »
First of all, you need to determine what gear you have in the car currently. A few different ways to do this. The best being to pull the gear out of the rear end and count the number of ring gear teeth and pinion teeth.  Divide the ring teeth number by the pinion teeth number.

If you don't want to remove the pumpkin, you can make a chalk mark on the tire and a chalk mark on the drive shaft. Turn the tire through one revolution and count how many times the driveshaft spins through it's cycle. Ex: If the tire is turned one full turn and the drive shaft turns 3 full turns then the ratio would be 3.00. Make sense?
Not as accurate, but will get you a ballpark number.

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline El Gringo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:06:24 pm »
I thought you might have a magic chart that would tell you the ratio for different speeds.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 10:24:43 pm »
I thought you might have a magic chart that would tell you the ratio for different speeds.

Well, I do have some formulas for figuring speeds. It involves tire circumference, transmission gearing and desired RPM.
LOL! :D

Steve

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 10:59:08 pm »
As I was telling you in some of our messages; The road course folks are using 2.50 and 2.93 for gearing. I don't see that as so much practical for street use. These guys and gals on keeping the rpms up around a closed circuit. For street use, there is a lot of stop and go. I am leaning towards a 3.90 for SCCA auto cross racing. I think that will give me enough humph for on and off the gas. Much like driving on the street. I guess we will have to wait and see how that works out. lol!

Steve

anything