Author Topic: Pyrometers, Who Uses them and how inportant are they?  (Read 9872 times)

Offline ZForceRacing01

Pyrometers, Who Uses them and how inportant are they?
« on: December 06, 2014, 06:23:42 pm »
I would like to hear some opinions on the use of Pyrometers. As stated in the past my brother is pretty serious into asphalt  late models. In conversation yesterday I mentioned I had decided against purchasing a pyrometer because I could get similar information from tire wear. I figured this something I could purchase in the future, if needed. I feel that with the legends street style tire they would Kool to quickly to get an accurate reading even when read directly off the track.

He argued tire temperatures are of the utmost importance for him to understand what the car is doing. He said anyone that is competitive  is tracking their tire temps. In some instances new drivers have difficulty giving accurate input and the temps help him understand what the driver is explaining.   

He also stated a basic single temp pyrometer isn’t good enough, you need the one that records multiple temps because the tires cool too quickly. In fact the cup guys who want the most accurate temps have one guy doing left and the other doing right side tires.

The problem with my brothers advice is he works for a rich man who thinks his son is the next Jeff Gordon. If he thinks it buy him any advantage, the rich man opens up his wallet buys it.
I’m not a rich man, I don’t have sponsors. I will be doing this like most of you, out of pocket.

I know there are a lot of dirt guys on here. Please give your opinions from an asphalt perspective as well as dirt because this where I will be most of the time.   

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Pyrometers, Who Uses them and how inportant are they?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 07:48:31 pm »
I think that when you are a top 3 car night in and night out, that's the time you need more advanced set up tools like pyrometers in Legends. They are a valuable tool, but if you're not in the ballpark already, they wont do you much good. You need to have a guy at track entrance when you pull off check them for the best readings, and get one that you can point and shoot with memory enough for a minimum of 3 readings per tire. The tires do cool quickly, but they should cool evenly across the surface
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 08:18:08 pm »
John,

Quit worrying so much about all the finer points. Get your car set up as best you can and go grab some seat time.
Best bet is to see if your brother will let you borrow his scales to scale your car. Set the car up the best you can and go from there.
I have a tire pyrometer only because I bought it years ago and got a good deal on it. As Jim mentioned, the tires cool fairly quickly so you have to be quick about getting the temps to do any real good.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 08:47:13 pm »
 Anybody have the answers to this test or do I need to just skip class that day ?

~G~

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 04:39:35 am »
Steve, it's Winter I have nothing but time to think about this stuff.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 09:35:37 am »
Have you stripped your car down to the bare frame and rebuilt it yet?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 09:38:03 am »
Anybody have the answers to this test or do I need to just skip class that day ?

~G~

I think you need to come to class G, you've been skipping out way too much
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 11:42:46 pm »
... but I wanted to look for unicorns in my sock drawer with a metal detector that day !!

~Gimp~

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 12:00:59 am »
The car has not been racd sinced it came form their setup guy. I think its crazy to tear this car apart with zero laps on it since its been gone though. Had it had some races then yes a complete tear down but I will keep it one piece this winter.

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 12:30:09 am »
Deer Abby,
John needs to talk to himself about his car....
8111111111D ~~ ~~
mhmm (that is so KOOL)
LOL

.. OK I will stop (spare me lord)

~Gimpster~

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 04:55:40 am »
Guys Gimp got into the crack again!

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 02:12:16 pm »
All in good fun there John-boy...

I'll only mention this once on here because there is no need for further discussion of my misfortune.
If  crack cured colon cancer, I would be the first one standing in line !! (Been fighting it since 2008 went down hard in 2011 and once again in 2013 - tough set-backs)
I can't even drink beer so my little 'hoorah' on this topic has been me having a good day or two... of the natural variety
Honestly you don't want to be near me on a bad day cuz I can really really be an azzhat with my insults. (pending how my guts feel on a given day)
And trust me, I have lost hundreds of friends because of it and the attitude it has given me over the past 2 years alone.

Now as far as scales and pyrometers, your car and racing etc.. If I were to race you on a given track, I would only lap ya twice 'cuz yer SUCH a GOOD bonehead
LOL

~Gimpster~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 04:24:09 pm »
The old Gimpster must be having a good day! Haven't seen him this talkative in a long time.  ;D

John,
Gimpster has been around the track a few times and has been in the sport a long time. He knows a lot more than he lets on.  ;)

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 03:24:32 am »
 Oh come on Steve-o.. I'm a nobody !  When you look around and see nobody that would be me
I have gone into hiding. Apology for our big argument way back when  my friend....
Some day I may turn ya all onto the newset 3 tricks that I came up with that ROCK and tech won't catch them (I haven't been sharing anything for quite a while)
Back on topic.. Have I ever used a pyrometer and are they important ? Hmmmm..Yup.. they are cheap entertainment for yer cat too !! LOL , get one

~Gimp~

anything