Author Topic: Tight center  (Read 8420 times)

Offline RyanMatthews51

Tight center
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:40:44 pm »
What could do I do to fix tight center? As I go into the turn, its perfect on entry, then as i reach center I have to put about 90 degrees of wheel rotation to the left to get it to turn and when i get into the throttle it rotate then gets a little bit loose on exit.
3/8 oval, a little bit of banking. Just searching for adjustments to make. I was thinking lower cross weight. I'm in my 4th race in the car and only a tenth off of the best in VA. Not on a team or anything.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Tight center
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 02:09:34 am »
What could do I do to fix tight center? As I go into the turn, its perfect on entry, then as i reach center I have to put about 90 degrees of wheel rotation to the left to get it to turn and when i get into the throttle it rotate then gets a little bit loose on exit.
3/8 oval, a little bit of banking. Just searching for adjustments to make. I was thinking lower cross weight. I'm in my 4th race in the car and only a tenth off of the best in VA. Not on a team or anything.

Pavement or dirt? What track(s) are you racing? (Never Mid; Found your stats and track)
Could be a number of things; Lack of seat time, Driving style or set up problem.
I don't know anything about your set up. If you don't care to share it here on the thread, message me and I will see if I find any obvious problems.

Things to look at for center of turn push:
1) Not enough tire stagger
2) Too much cross weight
3) Right front spring too soft
4) Right rear spring too stiff
5) Right rear tire pressure
6) Too much front brake bias (especially if you are riding your brake through the turn)

Things to look at for exit of turn loose:
1) Tire stagger
2) Increase cross weight
3) Soften right rear spring
4) Right rear tire pressure

You are looking for balance throughout the turning sections.

You say you are "only a tenth off the best in VA". Then you are doing pretty well! Might be just more seat time and work on driving style.
" Not on a team or anything." Does that mean that you and whatever "crew" you may have are not working together? There are a lot of drivers that don't belong to a "Team" (DEI, Childress Racing, etc...). Does your "crew" (those that help you to race) work together to make you the fastest and best you can be? Then you have a team! Just saying. ;) There are a lot of us out there that are driver, crew chief, mechanic, hauler driver, promoter, sponsor and whatever else we need to be just to go race whenever we can. I hope that puts things into perspective for you.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RyanMatthews51

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 07:39:18 pm »
haha yeah, my dad helps me a lot but when I say team im talking about those NASCAR haulers that carry 5 legend cars and all work together. I feel like im only loose off because im putting so much wheel into the car in center.

Offline RyanMatthews51

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 07:41:16 pm »
I might take some front brake bias and crossweight out of the car.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 12:44:22 am »
Wouldn't it be fun to show up at a race with a big ol' hauler and only unload a single car.  8) LOL!!!

I think those are your 2 best options.
Do look at your rear tire stagger as well.

Let us know if these changes made positive results for you.

Best Of Luck!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justaoke

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 11:15:13 am »
Loosen the car. If you are tight in the middle you WILL have to much wheel into it. It will cause a "tight-loose" condition when coming off a corner. Go slow with the spring adjustments-- not to much at a time. A quarter turn on some cars depending on setup can be a lot.