Author Topic: steering column bearings  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Typ122

steering column bearings
« on: November 20, 2016, 07:35:55 pm »
hey guys I know that inex doesn't allow bearing in the steering column but I have a legends that I converted to a dwarf so I don't have to worry about it not being legal. my nylon bushings are shot and I want to do something a little nicer. I know there are soe guys here that have built bearings for the column. can someone help me out. thanks

Offline Legends57x

Re: steering column bearings
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 10:18:53 pm »
A few years ago, I replaced the INEX supplied plastic bushings with bronze bushings from my local ACE Hardware store. I was able to find one of same OD dimension and had to slightly open up ID to fit properly with steering shaft. I was able to lightly press fit bushing to steering shaft tube and then drilled small hole thru tube and bushing, tapped hole to install grease zerk fitting. Worked great for me and was very inexpensive in the pocketbook as well. Good luck!
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 01:30:10 am »
Speedway Motors and Jegs have them.
As Mark suggested, You can also replace The plastic bushing with a bronze bushing.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Typ122

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 09:18:36 am »
Steve what do I look for at jegs or speedway

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 03:49:25 pm »
Look under steering components. You should find a couple different steering shaft bearings.
I remember a thread here on the site a few years back. I can't seem to locate it at the moment.
If you have a bearing supply store near you, they should be able to help you with somethings as well.
You will likely have to fab a mount for it. I have thought of doing this to my car also. I am converting a Legends Car also.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.