Author Topic: Braking on entry problem  (Read 8224 times)

Offline Legendracer31

Braking on entry problem
« on: March 27, 2016, 08:25:51 pm »
Having an issue on entry at my local short narrow 1/4 mile track. Tight turns. Running Wilwood calipers. Car doesn't want to slow down going into turn. Sometimes when try to dive it in hard car won't slow enough to get car to turn will push and over shoot turn. Almost feels like car is tellin me nope not going to slow down and car just barrels thru my braking. What causes this? Know I can add rear brake but that can be tricky as too much will make rear end want to come around if too much. Should I work on adding rear brake, are springs to light up front, is master cylinder not working right ect!???

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Braking on entry problem
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 11:34:38 pm »
I am guessing you are running a paved track? You give no information on paved or dirt. Your profile isn't filled out; so have no clue as to what track you are running. With that said; So the problem is push on entry? When a push occurs on entry, most times this is too much front brake. Adjust so that rear brakes are doing a little more work. Other things to check are tire stagger, toe, front and rear spring rates, suspension bind and cross weight. Just some quick thoughts.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline NCSU_racer

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 07:34:58 am »
You could be locking up the LF and not know it. That would make the car go straight for sure!
Zack B.
Raleigh, NC

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 02:11:53 pm »
What are you running for pads?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legendracer31

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:38:50 pm »
Sorry I'm racing on a asphalt track. 1/4 mile short straight ways tight corners. Run Wilwood calipers  & Wilwood 40 pads.

So if possibly locking up front do I just need to add rear brake to compensate?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 11:42:24 pm »
Sorry I'm racing on a asphalt track. 1/4 mile short straight ways tight corners. Run Wilwood calipers  & Wilwood 40 pads.

So if possibly locking up front do I just need to add rear brake to compensate?

In general, yes. If you run a brake bias to the front wheel(s) you may need to cut the front brake a bit. As I mentioned before, Binding of suspension could be an issue. Put the car up on stands and run the suspension through a full cycle and check for any binding. Could it be a sping issue? As we don't know what you are using or what track; Again, I can not say. Are you within the ranges that everyone else runs for springs?

Best advice at this point; Write down your current set up and use that as your baseline. Make one change at a time and record results. If you don't get the desired result you can always go back to your baseline set up.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 07:10:20 am »
i would say with 40 pads it is very possible to be locking up the LF on entry, you could try leaving the 40 on the RF and put a 20 or 10 on the left front to see if the will help...