Author Topic: Rear shock/spring adjuster nut...  (Read 20325 times)

Offline DARK AGE 53

Rear shock/spring adjuster nut...
« on: May 01, 2007, 01:58:39 pm »
my sons car has the front adjusters on the bottom ( which I think is correct ), the rears are on top, which makes me beleive the shocks/springs where installed incorrectly ( upside down ). Anyone know which ways up?

Thanks,
Al

POW/MIA - YOU ARE LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN IN SOUTHEAST ASIA

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
Re: Rear shock/spring adjuster nut...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 02:31:51 pm »
That is how mine are.

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:04:45 pm »
That is how mine are.

For some reason it just doesn't seem right, the stem part of the shock should be on top not the bottom.  I would think the dampening/rebound would be off,  here's some links from 600 Racing showing the postion of the shocks.

Rear
http://store.600racing.com/site/department.cfm?id=622E1E39-B0D0-791A-65B23BFDCCF3BDC3&killnav=yes

Front
http://store.600racing.com/site/department.cfm?id=622DD78B-B0D0-791A-65335234A0874BC2&killnav=yes

Offline T48

• Sugar Babies Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 08:57:57 am »
One of the tips we got when we bought the T48 was that your Bilstein shocks should be installed up side down for ease in making adjustments.  The article I printed and filed away assured us it would in no way alter their performance. 
-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 05:44:29 am »
One of the tips we got when we bought the T48 was that your Bilstein shocks should be installed up side down for ease in making adjustments.  The article I printed and filed away assured us it would in no way alter their performance. 

Yesterday I was at the shop of the guy who did the setup, I asked him about this and he said it didn't make any difference which way the shock was installed....I then asked him what the Bilstein shocks were valved at...his answer, I don't know.  If you don't know what the valving is how can you turn then upside down, maybe it's o.k but I'd like to know a little more first.

You mention an article you printed out, can you share that with me?

Thanks,
Al

Offline T48

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 08:33:28 am »
Al, I've found that same info in several places, but here's what the updates in the tech section of  legendscar.com had to say about it:

"8/13/01 Shock Mounting - Mounting rear shocks upside down will not alter the performance of the shock. It will, however, allow you to make changes to your car's setup without having to crawl under the car. You will simply jack the car up in the rear, and make your adjustment. Remember to tape your shocks or use the above mentioned clamp to hold the coilover in place after any update so the setup does not change."

Ours were already upside down when we bought the car, but I'll go back through some of my files and see if I can get you more input about this subject.

-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 08:09:05 pm »
Thanks T48 for the info, I'm going to research this a little more just to make sure this is the way to go.

Offline T48

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 01:38:46 pm »
You're welcome, Al.  Here's a link for you that I found very easy to follow, hope it's helpful.

http://www.legendsforce.com/chasis.htm

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 09:21:17 pm »
 The main reason for mounting the shocks upside down is  to lower the unsprung weight of the suspension. It also moves the shock body up and away from the brakes, hence the fluid in the shock runs cooler. A bonus is that it is easier to adjust.
Nothin' new, or secret. It's in most chassis books.  ;)
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline DARK AGE 53

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 03:35:54 am »
Thanks for the link T48, some good info and links there.
justfreaky, thanks for the reply, I'll leave the shocks upside down.

Offline racer48j

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 11:20:39 pm »
Just a word of caution about mounting the rear shocks upside down.  We had a shock eye break off  a Bilstein shock (not come unscrewed as they are known for) on our left rear.  The shock shaft extended into the pavement and then wrapped under the rear axle.  This lifted the left rear tire off the ground and threw the car into a spin towards the infield.  The truly sad part was I was running my nephews '34 Ford Legend just behind  our car which was being driven by my son.  With little or no time to react I ended up "T-Boning" my own car/and son in the process.  Needless to say I have been mounting my shocks with the shaft up/shock body down ever since.  Your mileage may vary!!!  :)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 02:54:02 am »

Offline fastmantom

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 03:54:08 pm »
The bump/rebound settings of a shock is the same reguardless of the way it's mounted.  Bump is how hard it is to compress a shock, rebound is how hard it is to pull it back apart.
I don't know if I can make the car win, but I think I can make it run fast enough to where people think we're cheating.

If they ask if we're cheating, smile and answer,"Yes".  They won't believe you if you say,"No".

Offline 6th Geer

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 07:33:17 pm »
Now that this has been decided and Legend drivers have been running them upside down for 10 years now. How about mounting them on the inside or outside of the frame. I like my left side on the outside and the right side on the inside. It gets the best forward bite out of the turns this way. what about you guys?????

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 03:55:50 pm »

Did some quick research and asked on some other sites. Here is what I found:

Putting the LR shock in front of the housing will increase cross weight when you get on the throttle; Which will tighten the car up on exit.

Changing  the RR shock angle (mounting inside or outside of the frame rail), but keeping the same spring rate, will increase side bite.

Anyone else have insight on this? :) ;D

Steve

anything