Author Topic: Setting the valves  (Read 8883 times)

Offline bando9_DAD

Setting the valves
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:21:50 pm »
I am looking for someone who knows the correct procedure for setting the valve lash on a Bando engine.  We are running a new 600 racing engine that needs to have the valves set.  We were finding that after the engine got hot we could not get any rpms over 3000.  Could a valve that is not closing all the way cause the loss in compression.  The power loss only occured after we ran a few laps.  Everything appears to be normal on the outside of the engine, it's the valves I don't know alot about.  Thanks for the help in advance.  Dan

Offline 3nracing97

Re: Setting the valves
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:11:08 am »
To set the exhaust valve, turn the engine so that the intake valve on the same cylinder head is all the way open.  To set the intake turn the engine so that the exhaust valve on the same head is all the way open.  Do the same thing on the other side and you should be good.  There is a video on youtube from a small engine repair guy that I saw and this is how he said to do it.   You might be able to do a search and find it but it was very helpful.  Kevin

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:22:56 am »
Please post a link if you can find it.

Thanks,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline 3nracing97

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 06:24:22 pm »
Found it!!    Remember that Bando valves are not the same lash as the motor he is doing.

Offline bando9_DAD

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 07:19:03 pm »
Hey that video link was cool, Thanks for the help, and it always helps when you can see it done.

Offline bando9_DAD

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:10:46 pm »
We ran a race this weekend and found out that it was not the valves, but a blown head gasket.  You gotta luv that when the engine is only 3 races old and fresh from 600.