Author Topic: Rookie needs some help on asphalt  (Read 18745 times)

Offline Aklegend53

Re: Rookie needs some help on asphalt
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 03:00:05 pm »
8/6  UPDATE so we checked the square of the rear end using the method from Steve and VMS measuring to the rear crossmember and me were off by 1/4 of a inch. We also lowered the height about a 1/4 inch. The car drove amazing and shaved .150 off my time. I was running with the pack and it felt great. So here is the situation now. I can drive WAY further than all the other including the leaders, however when I get back on the gas on the exit of the corner I get crazy loose and slide up the racetrack. My cross was 49 and my rear weight was 52. I was running 28#s right side and 16#s left. I love gaining speed and getting better. Thanks for the help.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 03:15:08 pm »
Sounds like you are making headway.
Too much tire stagger on right rear? Perhaps lower the tire pressure in right rear a bit and see if that helps. Softer right rear spring?

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justaoke

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 05:30:28 pm »
Loosen the car. Sounds like a "tight -loose""condition. When on exit the car is to tight and you have to much steering input, start accelerating and then the rear kicks out. Bring that cross down. ;)

fastfred02

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 11:03:57 am »
I'm a rookie too, so take this with a grain of salt, but you said you can drive it in way deeper. Are you driving it in too deep, which in turn causes the "tight-loose" mentioned above?

I saw a lot of improvement personally by just backing up the corner a touch. I'm not roasting the tires as much, either.

Offline Aklegend53

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 04:03:17 am »
Maybe I should clarify. So when I'm braking into the corner the car feels great. I can drive the car further into the corner and the car feels very planted. To me it is a very good thing. I definitely don't feel the car is pushing. So mid corner I begin to slowly roll onto the gas I can feel the weight of the car shift to the rear. When I start to accelerate out of the corner the car can't put traction down. So I can either back off the gas and try to stay in my lane or try to feather the throttle with the car sliding up the racetrack. There where several times where I would pass someone going low into the corner and have to give it back because I was afraid I was going to slide up and make contact with them. Don't get me wrong the car was WAY better. I definitely don't  feel that the car needs loosened up at all. I like driving further in the corner just need to put the power down on exit. I think the stagger advice is true and will try that. Was thinking about lowering the rear a 1/4 inch to help get traction off. I feel that the setup is very close and thanks for all the advice.

Offline justaoke

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 12:43:53 pm »
Loosen the car.  Too much pinion maybe??

Offline Aklegend53

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 01:54:36 am »
So I race in Alaska and I just completed the last race of the year.(yeah I know we have a short season). So I dropped the rear down on both sides to 3 3/4" I picked up .200 and I lowered the rr tire pressure a pound and it seemed to help the control. Going to get the carbs rebuilt for next season and try to find someone who will professionally cut the tires and ship to Alaska. Then change out my clutch and the wheel bearings as well. I think I might try some new rims as well as I'm not sure the besets are the lightest. Thanks for all the help. I may try to find a legend racing school as well. Had a blast. Till next season.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 05:37:22 am »
Thanks for the update!

Upside of things is that you are still moving forward (+ .200). Every little bit helps!
I am sure a carb rebuild will likely help. Don't know when it was done last. Whom ever you choose to do your carbs; Make sure they know your track configuration, altitude and average temp during your racing season. All that can make a difference. Cut tires are the current fast way to get around on pavement. Get the light weight Bassett wheels if you can afford to.
Check the steel plates on your clutch. Make sure they are within tolerance. Replace the fiber discs. Check the springs. Are they within tolerance? That should help give you some bite in the get up and go.
Keep those bearings spinning freely. A few old threads on bearings and what grease to use. Like everything, lots of different opinions.

Seat time is ALWAYS a plus. Whether it be racing at your local track(s) or racing schools. Always a lot to be learned. ;)

Sorry your season is short. I understand, as I have a daughter up on the peninsula. Our season here in Montana isn't to bad, but not as long as farther south.
Good to hear that you enjoyed your season and will be back next year. Now you get to get real personal with your car and start the teardown and rebuild. Check the chassis, engine, every nut and bolt, radius rods, pan hard bar, wiring, etc., etc., etc... And of course my favorite; New paint! Don't forget me.... I love to see those pics of the new paint schemes !!!  ;D

Have a good off season and an even better 2017!

Steve

Offline Aklegend53

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 07:22:44 pm »
Thanks for the update!

Upside of things is that you are still moving forward (+ .200). Every little bit helps!
I am sure a carb rebuild will likely help. Don't know when it was done last. Whom ever you choose to do your carbs; Make sure they know your track configuration, altitude and average temp during your racing season. All that can make a difference. Cut tires are the current fast way to get around on pavement. Get the light weight Bassett wheels if you can afford to.
Check the steel plates on your clutch. Make sure they are within tolerance. Replace the fiber discs. Check the springs. Are they within tolerance? That should help give you some bite in the get up and go.

Steve
Steve do you have any recommendations on carb rebuild shops? I obviously am going to have to ship them out to be rebuilt.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 07:43:15 pm »
Jim at VMS, Randy at RPM (likely the closest to you), Hank Scott, ... There are a number of people out there that can do a nice rebuild for you. Several are members here on the site. I like to do business with folks here on the site if at all possible. Hopefully, some of our friends will chime in and give you their info.

Steve

anything