Author Topic: Rear brake adjustment  (Read 12827 times)

Offline Vcolletti26

Rear brake adjustment
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:49:28 pm »
How should u adjust the rear shoes for optimal performance

Offline Chunk

Re: Rare brake adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:06:38 am »
Adjust the shoes out to where the drum barely fits over the studs. You don't want to have to force it on or have the pads dragging on the drums, but you want them as close as possible. The further away those shoes are, the more travel it takes the wheel cylinders to engage them. The further they have to go, the less pedal you will feel. Often times when a driver complains of a soft pedal, it's because the shoes are backed off too far. After you get them where you want them, use a hose clamp on the adjuster so it won't self adjust. This is a maintenance item to keep up with every week. They constantly need adjusting.

Offline AKRACER

• speed
Re: Rear brake adjustment
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:45:49 am »
if you have help working on you  car you can adj them through the hole in the backing plate just before they drag then back off a hair and your good to go.

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:01:20 pm »
There are two correct way to adjust your rear brakes that I am aware of.
1)Brake measuring tools. measures across the shoes, you the measure the drum and adjust until you have the same clearance on both rears.
2)There is an adjustment slot on the back side of the backing plate. This is open to the star wheel that adjust the shoes. Adjust each star wheel until you cannot rotate the drum. Back each star adjuster off the same amount, referred to as clicks. Once you get the hang of this method its a pop fly.

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:02:22 pm »
The method of wiggling the drum is totally inaccurate, do not use this method.

Offline deafoldgit

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 03:23:13 pm »
whats the  best way dennis  :)

martin
go hard or go home

martin

knoxracing

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 03:31:16 pm »
I really like tightening the drums from the rear through the adjuster slot with the drums on. Again, tighten them as tight as they will go and back them off evenly. We go about what we call 10 clicks. If you play with this it will get easy to do. Make sure your adjusters are free and make sure they are into the spring that keeps them from turning on there own. We take them apart, clean them and apply never sieze to them, keeps them free and makes them easy to adjust. I have a tool we made for adjusting, I will post a pic on Monday.

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:34:15 pm »
How should u adjust the rear shoes for optimal performance

Vinny,
I could help you tomorrow at the track if you need.  i run my drums as tight as possible.

Richie

Offline amp racing

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:59:11 pm »
I use a drum to shoe gauge.. it measures the drum and you adjust the shoe to it for proper clearance...

joe

anything