Author Topic: Torque  (Read 8566 times)

Offline Coastal

Torque
« on: March 08, 2019, 12:46:31 pm »
Hey guys, a quick question that you may be able to help me with, I will be installing 4 new micro blue wheel bearings very soon and was wonder what the final torque on the nut should be, some guys say tighten them until you feel resistance, then back off an 1/8 of a turn, other guys say that the metal in the bearings/spindle will expand during the race, so start off with the bearings feeling "lose", I'm sure its a driver preference, but is there a general torque number that people use during assembly?, all input is appreciated, thanks, Shawn.

Offline justaoke

Re: Torque
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 12:56:01 pm »
Before you put these in, invest in the bearing spacers. You will be glad you did! :) Once those are set with the bearings it is just tighten down as you have set the clearance. So much easier to do maintenance and the benefit of less friction!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 07:33:33 pm »
I use the tighten until you feel resistance and back off an 1/8th of a turn method.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Coastal

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 08:10:51 pm »
Thanks guys, I will look into the bearing spacers

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 09:37:54 pm »
I haven't tried the bearing spacers; But a lot of folks are using them. The whole idea behind the bearing spacers and the micro coatings are to reduce drag. Less drag = more speed.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 04:43:11 pm »
I have been using, selling and installing bearing spacers for years and I would not run without them.

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=FrontBearingSpacer

We also have the full line of DRP products, including low friction bearings & seals in stock.

Just search DRP and you will see it all.

Randy - RPM

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 02:17:52 pm »
Yes, the bearing spacers are the way to go. As one of the people that got them legalized in legends as of 4/9/2014, I can tell you that they will do a lot more for you than the micro blue bearings will. Also note, not that I have ever seen bearings teched, but Micro Blue, or any other coated bearings, are not legal for INEX competition per Scott Reinhardt.

For bearing spacers and anything else you need, check out vmsmotorsports.com

Jim
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/