Author Topic: Dirt Tire Direction  (Read 6616 times)

fastfred02

Dirt Tire Direction
« on: August 30, 2016, 12:43:29 pm »
I was looking at my dirt tires last night, and I realized they had directional arrows on them. I can't figure out why it would matter. Should I respect the arrow, or does it not matter?

Offline Earnst85

Re: Dirt Tire Direction
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 07:40:37 am »
It doesn't matter. We run them a few races and then flip them on the rim.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 08:23:23 am »
Key in on what he just wrote..."a few races"...
If you run them for too long before flipping, the wear on the tires due to the camber of your setup and just plain running around in a circle may make a change to the car's handling when you flip them.  The greater the wear, the greater the change.   So either flip them often, or if you measure the tread depth before you run them, you can monitor the wear and make the change based on the wear you see.
People pay a lot of money to have camber and profile cut into their tires before ever using them.  It improves the dynamic (as you race) relationship between the tire and the track.  Generally, for LTO race tracks, negative camber is cut into the RS and positive camber in the LS and all profiles are generally cut flat so more tread is on the track.  More camber is cut into the front tires than the rear.  Flipping a cut tire will not work, nor will rotating them.   So if you run uncut tires on dirt for too long, the wear pattern can become a big factor.  Just monitor the wear and mount the tires to take advantage of the wear.  For instance, say you notice a good amount of wear on the inside of your RR (positive camber worn in).  Flip it and run it on the RF(flipped positive camber tire is now negative camber) or switch it to the LF.

fastfred02

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:30:59 am »
Thanks for the replies guys. That all makes sense to me.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 09:54:29 am »
Who cuts their dirt tires?????? The American Racer dirt tires have camber built into them
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

fastfred02

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 02:38:38 pm »
The American Racer dirt tires have camber built into them

So then it does matter. Maybe not the arrow, but I do need to pay more attention. I noticed one of the tires seemed to lean when it was off the car, but I didn't notice that on the others.

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 04:27:22 pm »
Why does everyone worry so much about any natural camber, camber formed due to wear, or even if your dumb enough to cut camber into a dirt tire?

We run on dirt.... the track surface is uneven.

Let's not forget the fact that we run lower air pressures and the tire sidewall rolls and flexes until the tread grabs anyway.

I say it doesn't matter. In fact, last week I flipped a RF tire on its rim between Friday and Saturday races. The camber changed very little and I felt no difference in handling.

Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 10:31:45 am »
It doesn't matter, I run the tires where I need them for stagger...was just VERY surprised by the cutting camber into the tire comment!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/