Author Topic: Front Clip  (Read 8242 times)

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
Front Clip
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:23:34 am »
Does anyone have some measurements or ideas on how to tell if your front clip is straight or not?

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Front Clip
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:50:47 am »
If you can't see that it is bent the only real way is to put it in a jig to be sure.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:39:37 pm »
I wasn't sure if you level the chassis if there is a way to take some measurements to make sure

Offline rickmiller48

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:53:21 am »
This is definitely no substitute for getting it jigged, but there are a couple things you can check.  Like any square or rectangle you can check square by measuring corner to corner and comparing those measurements, it's a little tough because so much is in the way (engine, break lines, etc) but you can do it with a regular square and a combo square (or maybe it was just a square and a tape measure, I forget), and a friend (I do remember I couldn't hold the square and measure at the same time).  Measure from where the plate that the master cylinder bolts to meets the frame rail to the front clip to the far corner where the shock tower/front cross member is welded to the frame rail.  Do left rear to right front, then right rear to left front and compare the measurements.   If it is bent with a twist, this will not show it, if you had a perfectly level floor and leveled the main frame rails to it, you could probably measure the height of the front clip frame rails near the shock towers/front cross member.  If the frame is bent in front of the shock towers/front cross member, either porta-power it straight or don't worry about it since that just holds the bumper, grille, oil cooler, and the front brace for the steering rack which would have to be way off to even notice in the steering.  A friend of mine had the very front end of his front clip bent 6" to the right and didn't notice it until he got out and looked (we just hacked them off and welded new on).  Again, none of this is a substitute for having it checked on a jig and if needed repaired by someone better at welding than me:) 

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 03:14:35 pm »
Rick is right on how could measure the front clip with a tape measure from inside corner to front of horn like an X to compare the numbers and see if the clip is pushed left or right. Although, this may give you an idea if it is bent or not it is very inaccurate. The clip may not only be pushed sideways but it could also be pushed up or down as well. Best thing to do is like everyone said, just have it jigged and fixed if it is bent. If it is only out a 1/16 or 1/8 at most it may not hurt you to much on dirt. You would just have to make some adjustments the next time at the track. Last year my brother got in a wreck at Linda's Speedway and then the we had to fix his car by the following Friday. We used a tape measure, sledge hammer, and some heat to get the clip as close as possible. One week later we went to Bridgeport Speedway and he led almost the entire race then regained the lead and won with a bent clip.

So in the end it comes down to your peace of mind and how you want to go about things. If you have all winter get it clipped, if you are in a rush do what you need to do.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline RickyBobby

• JM Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:50:24 pm »
I have the car completely torn down so I took some quick measurements going side to side and the numbers are not the same running along the main rails of the front clip.  So it looks like I am sending it down to Mr Jordan asap.

Hoopy_boy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 11:06:43 pm »
  I didn't chime in here because I run mine pre-bent and offset to my chassis flex liking.... can't give up all the secrets now !! LOL

~ Gimpster ~

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 07:38:12 am »
Gimpster,

You are right, sometimes the cars work better with a little bit of a tweak. We have yet to re-clip my brother's car because he doesn't want to. He said the last few times he raced, the car was the best it's ever been.

Todd
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 10:42:44 am »
You can get away with a tweaked clip on dirt but the geometry is much more important on asphalt.  if you can look at the side profile of your chassis and your front horns go uphill towards the front of the car replace it.
Just a note to those in the midwest, I build my own front clips and I am cheaper than the big guys out east and my stuff is just as good, $450 for a new clip installed.  PM or go to my new wesite and call me www.ultimateracecars.com
A couple of my customers did really well at the Dirt nationals this year, Eric Barth (master), Ethan Ross (semi pro), and DJ Ross (semi pro)
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:21:56 pm »
Those of you that have bought clips from me, Jeff is the one that fabricates them
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 08:47:56 pm »
Just remeber just cause you buy a square front clip doesn't mean it will be after you weld it, you just cant slap it on the firewall and blaze it up, it need to be in a jig or measured as you tack it up, measure twicw eweld once ......what, wait, I think that measure twice cut once...oh well you know what I mean.

Mike

anything