Author Topic: Rear Gear recommendation for a little bit of drag racing.  (Read 7121 times)

Offline Juiced

Rear Gear recommendation for a little bit of drag racing.
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:37:58 am »
We want to play at the local 1/8 mile drag strip.

Any recommendations?

We have 3.42 and 3.90 gear, but will put in what ever will work best.  1200 open motor

Thanks!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear Gear recommendation for a little bit of drag racing.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 02:28:43 pm »
Several years back, there was a drag racing challenge involved with a group out west. I never heard a lot about it or what became of it.
I would likely go with the 3.90 or perhaps a 4.10. Just guessing. As you already have the 3.90, Go give it a shot and see what happens.
Sounds fun!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 06:32:10 pm »
We want to play at the local 1/8 mile drag strip.

Any recommendations?

We have 3.42 and 3.90 gear, but will put in what ever will work best.  1200 open motor

Thanks!

Back in '96 we ran a 1/8 mile drag event prior to our Saturday night dirt track race in Sacramento Ca. We all ran our 3.73 gear used for oval track.

I remember it would just light up the tires at the line. Some, including me, began using 2nd gear starts to not break the tires loose so quickly.

I can't really remember, but the 3.37 required a shift just prior to the timing light or it would hit the rev limiter. We had a ton of fun for that "fill in" event before the Saturday night race. We never did it again though, not sure why.

I think my best time was in the final loss on a hole shot, 8 seconds and around 90 mph. I have my time slips saved someplace, when and if I ever come across them I will verify what we ran.

Randy - RPM

Offline Juiced

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:38:33 am »
Thanks all,

We will be running the 390 gear for now and starting in second gear.

We have lightened up the car since we are not running any sanctions legends events. We are also adding some
drag rims and tires. (Not many in a 4x4.5 bolt pattern. )

I will post some photos as we work on this.

Ed