Author Topic: Master cylinders  (Read 8302 times)

Offline Legend79

Master cylinders
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:42:32 am »
Hi, I have noticed a few cars in the pits have a master cylinders (brake) with 4 lines coming from them. Mine only has 3, is there any advantage to this for asphalt rAcing? Some also have a square bar across the top with only one pipe to a round resivour.

Offline knoxracing

Re: Master cylinders
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:01:28 am »
It all depends how it is plumbed, this would help determine if its an advantage. The three line set up sounds like a "factory set up". One line for the rear and one to each front. Depending how it is plumbed, the four line would not really be any different except they maybe trying to achieve more rear brake with individual lines to the rear. Knowing how it is plumbed would be the determining factor in why.  The square block you are seeing is used primarily because they are using reservoir bottles with only one outlet. The master has two inlets, the block adapts the one line to feed two inlets. No advantage.
DENNIS KNOX
Buckeye Legends
Official USLC Dealer - Ohio
330-310-9212

Offline Legend79

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:39:12 am »
Thanks Denis, My 3 line is set up exactly how you described 1 line to the rear and 2 to the front, I don't about the other cars I have seen but would assume they 2 lines to the rear, surely there would not be any other use for it? We run to the inex rules if that helps? Does it make a massive difference having an extra line to the rear?

Offline knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 11:16:12 am »
The additional line to the rear would not be of real importance, the shoes are adjustable. I have heard of racers running the new Wilwwod disc adding the other line to the rear trying to gain rear brake as the fronts seem to be pretty aggressive. The most important thing to help would be a brake valve to the left front with either system.
DENNIS KNOX
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline Legend79

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 12:16:54 pm »
Stupid question, do you mean the front wilwood system or is there a new rear? Sorry I am outside the US so it takes some time for the info to filter out sometimes

Offline knoxracing

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 01:05:47 pm »
Yes the front Wilwood system, the rear is not available yet. By the way, I have heard of dirt racers using the 4 brake line system.
DENNIS KNOX
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

anything