Author Topic: Oil filter question  (Read 8352 times)

Offline JayB

Oil filter question
« on: September 26, 2016, 03:42:46 pm »
So as I said in my previous post I'm new to legends cars so forgive me for my lack of knowledge  ;D. I bought a brand new legends car from INEX and I'm trying to do my first oil change. I have figured out how to do everything. Except I can't find the oil filter. I see from photos on several cars there's a "remote filter". But I can't find that and I'm not sure what kind of system I have. Could you guys help me find out what kind of system I have and where the oil filter should be? If it helps any I see two blue hoses on the oil cooler. One on the top left and one on the bottom right. And they both lead directly to the oil pan. And I see the "top end hose" it leads from a small opening next to the "oil window" and leads up to the engine. I looked over every hose and I just can't find the oil filter. So is it also possible that I don't have a remote oil filter installed. And if I don't have that where is the main oil filter. And on a side note what are the average temps I should expect on the oil temp gauge when racing ovals. Thanks for the help!

Jay Berrios Driver of the #25 Chevy Coupe             Follow me on twitter please @Jay_Berrios

fastfred02

Re: Oil filter question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 03:54:48 pm »
Mine's on the back of the engine near the firewall. Directly below the alternator.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 04:24:23 pm »
Jay,

Sounds like you are running the stock oil filter and not a remote system. As already mentioned, the oil filter is located below the alternator near the firewall side of the engine.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JayB

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 04:34:53 pm »
Are there benefits to running a remote filter too?  Also looking at other posts about changing oil. Where do I put the new oil in. Others say to put it through the filter but since mine is back there what do I do. And do I have to remove the engine to change it or do I just pull it out in there?Also about "priming the lines". I have a starter and a choke, to do that do I just hold the starter for a few seconds?  And thanks for the help Steve and Fred.
Jay Berrios Driver of the #25 Chevy Coupe             Follow me on twitter please @Jay_Berrios

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 04:58:15 pm »
The benefits to running a remote oil filter system is you can place the oil filter in an easy to access area and it is a spin on type oil filter.
You should be able to access your current oil filter with the engine in the car.Time to jack the car up, again (LOL!) and crawl underneath.

As far as priming is concerned; If you are draining just the engine, replace the filter, fill the oil (about 1/2 way up the oil inspection window) and turn the engine over with the ignition switch off (so it won't actually start). Although, I have just started the engine and let it run at an idle.

If you are draining the whole system (oil cooler and lines), then you will want to fill the oil cooler and dump in what you can into the oil lines. Again; Spin the engine over with the ignition off.

Steve

Offline JayB

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 05:22:13 pm »
And I just put the jack back in shed :( lol. Seriously speaking I'm still confused on how to start the starter without cranking it. So I normally start it by turning on the fan and electrical switches. Next I hold the the choke while pressing the starter. And then it fires up.

So to be clear to prime I leave all of the electrical switches off and just press the starter?
And thanks again for the help Steve. And to fill it up with oil I just pour for the most part through the cooler right?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 05:55:06 pm »
No need to turn on the fan or use the choke. The idea is to turn the engine over to pump the oil through the engine without actually starting it. There will be a certain amount of oil still left in the system.

Oil goes in the oil fill plug. You will probably want to use a funnel. If you are draining everything (oil cooler, lines and engine) then you will likely want to pour some in the cooler and lines.

Offline JayB

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 02:32:39 pm »
Just to follow up. Thanks for the help everyone I was able to change the oil and oil filter without a hitch. And just took a couple of minutes to figure it out.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 02:38:41 pm »
Awesome!
Thanks for the update.

Steve

Offline ZForceRacing01

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 11:07:46 pm »
Lol, I had the same drama the first time I had to change the oil in my car. I couldn't find the filter for nothing. USLC sells an adapter for a standard spin off filter now, its like $50 and it allows you to change the filter much easier than the cartridge type. It takes about 5 min to install.
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" , George Orwell

"In war it does not matter who was right, only who is left", Anonymous

Offline RPM

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 02:32:36 pm »
Here is another choice for a spin on oil filter conversion: RPM spin on oil filter adapter

I also have in stock the engine side remote adapter. It is also drilled for a temp sensor probe as well. Engine Oil Filter Adapter

Randy - RPM