Author Topic: Carb tech woes  (Read 8899 times)

Offline Plumcrazy

Carb tech woes
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:39:41 am »
Hey all. It's been a couple of weeks.  So, we got our motor back from 600 and we have 2 races on it.  Last night we finished 2nd and had our carb teched again.  Let me back up a bit though.  Prior to sending our motor out, we finished 2nd and we were told at the carb had been modified.  The elbow area, they said, had been ground.  I didn't argue.  I bought the car from a reputable race team and hadn't done anything to the car but change gears and oil.  Anyway, they (the track) kept the offending part and did not DQ us.  So I sent the whole motor (sans carb)to 600.  Anyway, I wanted to be sure everything was 100% legal so I had 600 freshen the motor, put a brand new carb on the car with the jets I requested and had them run it in on the dyno.

Last night we finish second again.  They tech the carb and tell me it was modified in the exact same way and in the same spot.  Now, I wouldn't typically argue tech.  I assume they know more than I do.  And I did not send the motor or carb to a third party because A) I cant afford it and B) I want to be sure it was legal.  Well, I argued this one.  I told them about the refresh, the new carb and even who at 600 did the build and dyno.  They, then, gave me my carb back, did not DQ us, and said they would call 600 and would "let me know."

My frustration is that I did everything within my power to ensure the motor and carb were legal.  To the point that I am sure there are dyno'd motors and flowed carbs at our track are clearly making better horse power.  It's supposed to be fun, but getting warned about tech every time we sniff at the front is frustrating and disheartening.  Especially when I KNOW there are illegal cars at our track.  So, I am looking for advice on where to go.  I know my carb wasn't modified in any way unless 600 did it.  But they should be the go to resource for all things legal.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all and happy racing!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Carb tech woes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:57:00 am »
Email Scott Reinhardt at USLC at and explain the situation.
Then take his response email with you to the track.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 02:14:28 pm »
I've seen this before.  There are many carb elbos that come with the casting line area slightly ground.  600 knows this and you should be fine.  LOcal tech inspectors sometines flip when they see any grinding.  I'm sure Scott will set your inspector straight.
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline Plumcrazy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 09:11:57 pm »
On it.  Thanks guys!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 10:09:41 pm »
I would make sure you get your other carb back too.
If the "Cheating" that you say is going on at your track, perhaps the tech has never actually seen a legal carb.
I'm with Ed and Jim about checking things out with Scott Reinhardt.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:45:30 pm »
Wecome to the BOX STOCK WORLD, ten million Chinese making the same part, each one different and you draw the tech that think they are all the same. INEX tries to keep engines as close as possible, but these engine comes to them in creats, again built by ten million different Chinese. NO ONE PART IS THE EXACTLY THE SAME.  This is from racing Briggs engines for yrs.  The guys at INEX do a really good job with our engines(I don't beleave I said that) guess I'll eat my hat.  If you are new ,the techs can be very political with the points and will push you BE PERPARED --rule book in hand, dictionary close by and some time a good lawyer that knows the rules.

anything