Author Topic: Gas additives( legal gas additives)  (Read 14437 times)

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
Gas additives( legal gas additives)
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:00:32 am »
The rules state we can add additives to gas to control knock,what  additives and brand name?  I am getting engine detonation on 93 octane gas,track rule, What legal additives  can be used? Tim

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Gas additives( legal gas additives)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:04:13 am »
Hi Tim,

Question... Does the fuel you are using have ethanol added to it? In some states, this is a common practice.
Rule #9 recommends the use of 92 octane unleaded gasoline; And cites that higher octane fuels may cause higher operating temperatures.
If your fuel has ethanol added, I would tend to think that it would have somewhat of a cooling effect.  Detonation is usually caused by high engine temps and/ or improper ignition timing.  You may want to check your timing before worrying about additives. Jetting could also be affecting your situation.

As for additives, I know that some of the kart guys, and dirt bike folks, will add a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to there fuel to aide lubrication. (About 10 cc per gallon of fuel) That might be of some help to cool the engine temp slightly. My personal opinion is that it's not going to be about fuel additives.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:47:36 am »
  Good morning Steve    Briggs recomends 92 octane for stock vanguard engine. Bando engines have Dyno cam, thin head gaskets for higher compression,advanced ignition timimg key(fixed) and generally speaking 92 octane rule is a track rule. On my engine the blower housing is sealed making it dificult to get to the coils and flywheel to adjust timing which as you said would fix the problem and allow the engine be tuned  for track conditions,any suggections there? Tim

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:00:47 am »
I didn't realize the blower housing was sealed. I'll have to let some of the Bando guys help with this one.  :-[

Steve

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:00:47 am »
Steve: Have you heard anything on E15 used in NASCAR at Daytona, some reports claim more power,cooler engine temp.  Do you think this might be away of the future in legends and bandolero as in other forms of racing.IMCA, UMP and INDY all allow alcohol.  I run methanol in our karts with very good result.  With only carb mods,jets etc.  Has anyone tried it yet? Engine food for thought.  Tim.    off subject note:  Lone Star Nationals this week end( Feb. 25-26)  over 240 screeming dirt karts lot of fun.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:18 am »
Cooler engine temps? Ethanol raises engine temps and lowers fuel mileage.
If you're stuck in an area where ethanol is mandated by the government (like SE Wisconsin), you're already running 10%, with 15% in the near future in pump gas.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 07:29:20 pm »
Thanks for the link Jim!

Tim,

I have not taken the time to read too much on the newer fuels. Even what I have read takes someone that knows a lot more about chemistry than I do. I have a friend who is a retired chemist from a local refinery. I posed questions to him about ethanol fuels. I got a bunch of terms and chemicals that that I have never heard of. He's not to good in putting things in terms that I can understand. lol! As Jim pointed out, some states do mandate a certain amount of ethanol in their gasoline. I do think that these fuels will be in our future. I think that alcohol based fuels do help a bit with cooling, but you have to run a bunch more of it. Remember that these are alcohol/ gasoline blends. Not like running methanol in your karts. Hence, I am guessing that that is the reason behind your question as to legal additives. That, and to aide in lubrication and cooling . About the only thing you could do is try a few tests on the specific gravity of your gasoline after adding a specific additive. Get a bunch of little jars and give it a shot.  :-\

Steve

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 11:07:48 am »
You are correct, alcohol would ,does work better than gasoline in briggs air cooled engines.  They run cooler,cleaner,give better performance, and have been around for than a hundred years are more. the cost savings in engine life alone off set any cost of fuel,and the way the price and availability of dinasoir blood is going alcohol should be considered for use in bandos and most all forms of racing. If you have never raced with alcohol all is required is rejetting carb and retiming engine and a little more care in carb cleaning. Tim

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 08:50:27 pm »
Things like rubber hoses and o-rings in the fuel system have to be replaced more often too.
I do kind of like the idea of running the Bando cars on alcohol. You should approach INEX with the idea.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 08:56:33 pm »
My main concern is that an alcohol fire is less visible, and we're dealing mainly with kids in Bando's.
Not to mention the increased maintenance
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 08:58:43 pm »
There are additives that can be put in the alcohol fuel to make the flames visable.
Good point though!
And true on the increased maintenance.

Steve

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:10:13 am »
The only maintance for alcohol is after racing is to drain and flush carb,with WD40 the same as you would do for gas,I will say this after switching to alcohol my valves,pistons,inside crankcase are like new after 2yrs,clean as a whistle.  With the Greenie coming and a move toward fewer carbon admissions,alcohol may be a good move.  Tim

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 08:20:30 pm »
I've never drained my fuel or flushed my gasoline fuel system with WD40. Granted, at the end of the racing season, I will drain all the fluids, replace fuel cell foam and rebuild for the next season. These engines are getting nothing near to the miles that your street or tow vehicle get. I've rebuilt some of my street engines with little to no build up of carbon or gunk in the engine.

I DO still think that ethanol fuels are in our near future.

Steve

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 01:29:15 pm »
The WD40 sprayed into the fuel inlet  lubs the needle and seat so they don't stick as well as prevent oxidation in float bowl.  Alcohol will leave a residue like gas leaves a varnish.WD40 helps prevent the build up. Tim

anything