Author Topic: RE: Motor Just Wont Fire  (Read 6066 times)

Offline billypotts

RE: Motor Just Wont Fire
« on: February 20, 2010, 12:41:34 pm »
Gentleman,

My sons Bando has been setting for a couple months as I recover from back surgery and I just cant get the freaking car to fire.  Changed out spark plugs, changed out carbs, changed out fuel....yet nothing seems to do the trick. The engine rotates. fuel is getting to the carbs. It just wont fire. I did notice something that i had not noticed before. The top fo the rev limiter box is somewhat warped is if somethign has overheated inside. If the rev limited box is not working or is damaged would this prevent the car from firing? Im not an engine guy so I may be overlooking the obvious. Any help is appreciated.

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
Re: RE: Motor Just Wont Fire
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 01:17:49 pm »
Disconnect the single wire that connects at the front of the engine at the fan shroud.  This is the "kill " wire.    With the wire disconnected any normal way of preventing  ignition is eliminited.  When this connection is grounded all igniton is terminated.  The grounding normally comes from either the kill switch up front or through the rev limiter.  With this wire disconnected the ignition will always be "on".  To shut off the engine you would have to pull the plug wires (both) or reduce the idle speed till it dies.

You can also check for spark by removing a spark plug then connecting  the plug wire with  the base of the plug  is solidly grounded.  Be sure the kill switch is in the run position and crank the engine while watching for spark across the plug gap.

No spark is caused by a bad diode wire, bad coil or bad plug wire.

If you have spark try a small amount of starting fluid spray into the carb intake, if it fires you have a fuel problem of some kind.  If it doesn't fire look for an ignition problem.

Rev limiter cases often look a little "warped".

Hope  this helps

For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com

Offline billypotts

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 09:03:57 pm »
You Nailed It! That and the help of Benny Royce here in the Fort Worth area.

We took the kill wire off. No spark whatsoever. Checked my wiring. Everything checked out okay. Turned out to be the diode wires.

Replacing the wire isnt as difficult as I expected even with the seal not allowing you completely remove the shroud.  The biggest pain is taking the motor in and out of the car.

Turns out both my motors would not fire due to bad diodes.  Thanks for the advice. With Benny's help we'll get this bad boy running.

Offline bandostuff.com

• BandoStuff.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:13:00 am »
Say Hi to Benny for me.  He is a good guy!
For all your Langacre & HANS needs-www.bandostuff.com