Author Topic: Federal vs bfg setups  (Read 9180 times)

Offline 21m

Federal vs bfg setups
« on: September 29, 2013, 11:50:22 pm »
Hi I am not new to legend cars but i took 5 years off to race sprint cars. We built a brand new 32 chevy coupe and put setup from my old sheets on the car.  The car is very uncomfortable to drive. 1/4 flat track.   My setup as follows. caster rf 4 deg lf 3 deg   camber rf 5 deg lf 3.5 deg  rear axle square off front shock towers with 6 degrees of pinion angle. 6 1/16 to lr brake backing plate. ride height. rf 4 lf 3 3/4 rr 3 7/8  lr 3 3/4 which gives us 49% cross  spring rates rf 325 lf 260 lr 200 rr 200. Ride length set with our racing 600 guage max minis 1/8 on left side minus 1/4 on right. front end width is 1/2 under max. We have been messing with tire pressure mostly ran rf 29 lf 17 rr 27 lr 15. I mostly fought a loose in tight off situation. The more we adjusted for the loose in the tighter we got out. I don't know how far off we are because some of the info you see when googleing setups i'm not sure how old they are. I did notice that the cars that were fast at our local regional event looked lower in the front than the rear and ours is lower in the rear but i'm not sure if thats just a difference in the way we hung our body. I doubt it i'm pretty sure its a ride height issue. we were very fast with bfgs with this setup and won alot of races but now its just not working and were .4 off our old lap times and the lap times of the current fast cars. Any tech help would make me really happy.  Also I would like for some one to help me and maybe others by sharing real numbers. I always share and work on others race cars- I'm a pretty good driver and believe they still have to out drive me.  Thank you everybody most of the time the other racers and people are what makes racing fun. Erik   

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Federal vs bfg setups
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 05:13:58 am »
Erik,

You may want to check out this link. It deals with camber cut tires, but may help with some insight on chassis changes.
https://sites.google.com/site/cambercutters/Home/camber-cutting-process

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:03:58 am »
Erik,

Where are you racing? There are probably guys near you that can help.

If you don't have anyone local, give me a call and I will help you out. You need some major changes to that setup.

585-721-1795
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:42:04 am »
I am not sure how you are loose with this setup at all.  It could be a number of things that are causing your loose in. i am thinning it is more your brakes then setup.  You may have to much rear brake.

Here are some basic numbers to start with.

Your front width is fine. i usually run 59 to 59 1/4 on front width.

spacers front end at tower
Lf lower 1/2 rf lower 1/4
make rear spacers to fill gap between bung so you have zero bind in the heim.
Cross 46.5% i have run as low as 44% on 1/4 mile track with banking.
Left % as much as you can get.
Rear 52.5 to 53%
Springs
lf 250 rf 275
Lr 180 rr 200
camber
LF 3 rf 5 1/4
caster
LF+1 rf +4
tire pressure.
lf 17 rf 26
lr 15 rr 36
Ride height
lf 3 5/8 rf 3 5/8
LR 3 7/8 rr 4
Wheel base.
left 72 7/8
right 73
pinion 2 to 3 degrees
rear square.
6 1/8 offset
also make sure your rack is centered.

Offline 21m

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:09:14 pm »
Thank you guys for the posts. I did check out that camber cutting link. I am racing meridian and magic valley in Idaho. I Thank you Richie for the set up notes. I am wondering if this may be alot of small spacer problems in my front and rear radious rods. I have been this season from 1 degree of pinion all the way up to 6 degree like were running now. When we had the pinion angle at one degree the car felt like it had no turn in on decel  and we would seriously have to run 54 to 55 percent cross to get the car to enter the corner all cross increases were done by putting 1/4 tun in the rf  and 1/4 turn out lf untill the car was comfortable to charge the corner entry. I like to drive in with a car in front at the same speed and get back to the throttle 10 to 15% just before apex and turn the car under and get full throttle first to beat them to the next corner. tells alittle about my style. Oh! also I have had the rear brake turned all the way to off and back a half since mid season.  I read the setup posted at the beginning of this forum I think by Justfreaky. I took pretty good care in putting the car together but maybe just not enough?

Offline amp racing

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 12:31:13 pm »
Ritchie I thought we were going to try the 100lbs spring set up? 

joe

Offline 21m

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 01:39:09 pm »
Steve- I read your post on the camber caster I was wondering if the uncomfortable feeling i'm getting is because my caster settings are way to low  The post said 16 and 13 lock to lock is this the same as static degrees? I milled a jig that we use angle finder from the center of the top and bottom ball joint to set our caster would this be the same as lock to lock? and should we reset at a much steeper angle? I could see how this would help. I say the car is loose on entry but its not spin out loose but its steering input loose where you can't feel the car entering its just uncomfortable. some of the locals say to drive it in further and that will go away. It doesn't-
  Erik

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 03:14:49 pm »
Ritchie I thought we were going to try the 100lbs spring set up? 

joe

Hahahahaha Joe.  Still not sure how people make that work.  Maybe one day i will try the 100lb front springs lol.
I bottom out on travel on my RF with the high travel ball joints with a 280 spring and very close to bottoming out the shock with a 300 lol.

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 03:25:14 pm »
Thank you guys for the posts. I did check out that camber cutting link. I am racing meridian and magic valley in Idaho. I Thank you Richie for the set up notes. I am wondering if this may be alot of small spacer problems in my front and rear radious rods. I have been this season from 1 degree of pinion all the way up to 6 degree like were running now. When we had the pinion angle at one degree the car felt like it had no turn in on decel  and we would seriously have to run 54 to 55 percent cross to get the car to enter the corner all cross increases were done by putting 1/4 tun in the rf  and 1/4 turn out lf untill the car was comfortable to charge the corner entry. I like to drive in with a car in front at the same speed and get back to the throttle 10 to 15% just before apex and turn the car under and get full throttle first to beat them to the next corner. tells alittle about my style. Oh! also I have had the rear brake turned all the way to off and back a half since mid season.  I read the setup posted at the beginning of this forum I think by Justfreaky. I took pretty good care in putting the car together but maybe just not enough?

Your welcome.  Hope it was a help if you give it a try.