Author Topic: Shocks  (Read 10881 times)

Offline dirtracer68

Shocks
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:19:04 am »
Does everyone have their shocks tested? If so, who in Central Pa is recommended?

Offline Legends57x

Re: Shocks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 11:19:04 am »
Never had mine tested yet, but that is probably why I've never won a Legends race either... ;D

I know Jim at VMS Motorsports provides this service.
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:03:59 pm »
If you are just trying to get seat time, I don't think it will matter much. If you want to get serious; Then YES I think it is a must! As Mark pointed out, Jim (VMSmotorsorts ) does supply that service. There are a few others also. The cost is not that much and will let you know exactly where your shocks are at (good or worn out).

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline dirtracer68

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:55:41 pm »
I definately would like to know how good or bad my shocks are since I bought them used with the car. How much does Jim charge and is that per shock or a set of 4? I appreciate all the info.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:01:12 pm »
$35 each to dyno a shock, which includes return shipping back to you.
Each shock will have a printout of the results.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 09:41:35 pm »
Even new shocks can differ. A shock dyno will give you the actual numbers associated with your shock. It is not a fix; But can give you an idea where your shocks stand.

Steve

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 06:49:51 am »
 If you get them tested and find any of them are way too weak, you will want to get rid of them, let me know....
Also if you find any of the old chrome body shocks that 600 Racing sold back in the day that the piston shafts aren't broken, I would buy those too

~Gimpster~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 05:15:07 pm »
If you get them tested and find any of them are way too weak, you will want to get rid of them, let me know....
Also if you find any of the old chrome body shocks that 600 Racing sold back in the day that the piston shafts aren't broken, I would buy those too

~Gimpster~

I have a bunch of the old Carerra shocks Gimp. They are not legal any more. For my purposes, they work though. Love having the adjustability!

Steve

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 03:27:29 am »
Oh sure, ya just gotta tempt me don't ya Steve-o ?  They are prolly stamped "Inex" too LOL

~G~

Offline dirtracer68

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 01:25:42 am »
Does anyone have plans for a DIY shock dyno, that's easy enough to build?  ???   I am just looking to test if they work or not and be able to match them enough to  know where the best placement on the car would be.

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 08:03:01 am »
I just use the push and release test...

Without the spring on the shock, I hold the two ends and count as I fully compress the shock, then I count as it fully extends.

I realize that some of us are stronger than others, but a brand new shock for me compresses in 8 seconds and returns to full extension in another 8 seconds.

I have found that shocks will extend slower as they age. I had one of the old chrome shock, which come as spare parts, that compressed in 8 sec and extended in 17 seconds, which needless to say is no longer legal.

For purposes of identifying which corner to put the shocks on, this method should be good enough. Just do all your shocks at the same time. If you do them on different days or when you have "beer muscles", it may throw off the results.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends