Author Topic: Rear end placment  (Read 11044 times)

Offline slotwho

Rear end placment
« on: April 21, 2013, 03:59:04 pm »
OK guys I have a question with regards to the rear ends placement. I have a 34 ford coupe, for the question  we will assuming the cross member, (attached to the batt box)  in the rear is square, I have been told that if I plumb-bob off the front of the axle tube  that the measurement  should be 12" between the cross-member and the string... How much truth is there to this?

I ask this because I have notice that the rear shocks are tilted backwards at the bottom instead of being straight up and down plus the car looks as if the rear end is  pushed way back with the tires on. Please let me know if I am over thinking or the info that I have been running under is wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Barry

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
Re: Rear end placment
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 10:39:40 pm »
12" from the cross member to front of axle tube will be way to far back. Should be closer to 12" from cross member to the back of the housing. However that is a rough estimate, and will not get you square.  Mine is usually more like 11 7/8, but again, you need to actually check for square, not just measure.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 08:32:51 am »
Refer to the threads listed, you DO NOT want to square your housing from the cross member behind the seat.

Offline slotwho

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 05:07:47 pm »
Just like to say thanks to all that responded to my question. Your though gave me a much clearer view of what and where I should be measuring from.

Thanks,

Slotwho

Offline canabl

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 10:34:55 pm »
Sorry to bring up old thread, but my coupe is exactly the same, running wheel base measured same as my sedan the rear end looks like its set back and tyre rubs on the guard back edge. If i wind it forward the pinion of diff cant be adjusted anything more than a few degress and thats after removing on jam nut..must be something wrong with body shape...

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 04:20:04 pm »
I'd bet you have 12 inch long rods on it, if you put 11 inch long rods that'll take care of the problem of not being able to bring the rear end forward anymore.

Dan

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 05:21:16 pm »
I have the same problem with 11" rods. The newer bodies USLC is getting from China are smaller, at least the 34 coupes are. I re-bodied this year, and the body was 3 inches shorter and .75 inches narrower. Windshield opening was just over an inch narrower also. Add to that the lack of support for the rear fenders on the 34 coupes, and the tires will rub. No worries Adam. Set your car up and don't worry what the body looks like in relation to the rear tires
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline canabl

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 06:08:09 pm »
with shorter rods it will just make my pinion angle even worse. not too worried about the looks of the car at this stage but just makes the car look like its running massive rear steer. we have a few months before we start so car is teared down and being freshened up again.