Author Topic: Learn from my mistakes when buying a Bando  (Read 5285 times)

Offline billypotts

Learn from my mistakes when buying a Bando
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:32:53 pm »
Hey all,

I notice from time to time newbies come on asking for advice or suggestions when buying a used bando. I've been wanting to offer up some advice and finally have some free time to share. This is info thats been shared before but never hurts to revisit particularly for those looking at entering bando racing for the first time.  As the new season gets under way  and as 2011 membership forms get sent in to INEX, I'm reminded once again of what a pain in the A$# its been to get our bandos registered after the previous owners for both our cars failed to provide the necessary title paperwork or VIN plates.

The first car we bought from a gentleman which will remain private (unless you contact me directly in the event you find yourself looking at other equipment he's selling), this car had no VIN Plate on it. I've personally have more recently seen this indivudal be DQ'd after a race for not having VIN plates on the cars they currently run. So theres no telling what some of the pople we compete with race. I was told initially I'd get it in the mail. It Never came. You'd think after a year they'd surrender it. I had to exhaust numerous hours simply attempting to finally get the title to the car which wasnt even registered to the individual who had sold me the car. It became apparent after confronting this individual about getting the VIN plate, that I would continue getting excuses, lies, and the usual run around.....because there was no VIN Plate to go with the car.

After severely tearing up the car just a week prior to running the 2010 nationals we bought a second car who had been previously owned as well by individuals who'm I would have bet money on would have all the appropriate paperwork on the car. After learning my lesson on the first car....first thing I made sure is that the VIN plate was on the car when I surrendered my cash. One tiny problem though, I'd get the title in the mail. I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with this story.

So we found ourselves having two cars. One with a title and no VIN Plate.....one with a VIN Plate and no Title. Getting a replacement from INEX will cost you $500 bucks. I'd like to think that the majority of the people I deal with shoot it straight and prefer doing things the right way....unfortunately as in every aspect of life and sport you'll occasionally come across a snake. I came across two.

I'm a big believer in KARMA....so I'm sharing this info primarily to prevent newbies from getting stuck in the same situation.

#1 when buying a used car......ask if the car has a title that will be presented prior to exchanging dollars.
#2 ask if the car has a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) Plate fastened on to the car.
#3 ask for the VIN PLATE number and call US LEGENDS INTERNATIONAL - 704-455-3896, ext. 206 and ask for Lisa Will.
#4 confirm that the VIN PLATE on the car is registered to the individual selling you the car or ask Lisa to give you the contact info for the person last listed in their titling information. You want to make sure that the title can be signed over to you either by the person selling you the car or by the previous owner.

If you do this you'll eliminate some headaches and save some money. Last thing I'd like to see is people running away from this due to a small fraction of shady characters that tarnish  the series as a whole.  Good luck to everyone in 2011.

Billy Potts
Fort Worth, Texas

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Learn from my mistakes when buying a Bando
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:14:53 pm »
Good points Billy. There are a lot of cars out there for sale... Not all of them on the up and up.
Thank You for the reminder!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline T Worthy

• Chandler Ford
Re: Learn from my mistakes when buying a Bando
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:34:56 am »
Billy,  Our car  came from Texas also and had not been titled to anyone, it did take Lisa a while to track down the paper work thru the previous operators(INEX dealer) car had plate, no title.  It did take time but finally got clear title. Check with Sparky at Lone Star Legends 817-255-6000.

anything