Author Topic: Need road race / autocross setup.  (Read 6998 times)

gbmetcalf

Need road race / autocross setup.
« on: June 18, 2007, 03:31:08 pm »
Does anyone have a road race setup?
My son & I autocrossed 37 sedan on sunday. We had a
blast! The car being set up for Chemung pushed like a
pig, we had horrible understeer then it would snap
into power oversteer... .
It looks like (this year), My son and I are going to
autocross and road race this car.
What is the road racing setup for these cars? (caster,
camber, weights, shocks, springs..... ).
We love this little car it has all the power we need
and is a blast to drive!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Need road race / autocross setup.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:46:11 pm »
Hi Brian,
 I'm up here in Montana. There isn't a lot of Legends or Dwarf racing here. I was thinking of autocross also. What class are you running in?  You might try this link for some general help. http://www.kevscorner.com/Corner2004/KCLegendQuikFix.htm
 Keep me posted as to your set up. I'll see what else I can find and post for you.

Best of Luck to you!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
Re: Need road race / autocross setup.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 03:13:12 am »
The problem you are having is due to the spool in the back.   You will be far better off with a open diff  or a limited slip carrier out of a Toyota.
The massive under steer you are getting is due to the rear axle always wanting to push the car in a strait line.   When you make tight turns in autocross, one tire has to spin faster that the other on the rear axle.  A spool wont allow this.  This is fine in dirt where you can get lots of tire spin to compensate.
Also, in tight turns on pavement, a spool with load the suspension by twisting the axle housing into the radius arms, then to the chassis creating goby of body roll and unpredictable handling.
Best bet, buy a new 3rd member with low gears and stuff a posi or limited slip * same thing* carrier in there and bring it with you just for autocross.

Max out your negative camber for autocross, the more the better for super quick cornering.  Adjust the caster as needed depending on what tires you want to use.  You always want a good return to center feel when you come out of  the corner, but not so much that you can unsettle the suspension.

:)
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

anything