Author Topic: Camber and Caster  (Read 11373 times)

alabamalegends

Camber and Caster
« on: June 01, 2007, 02:38:49 pm »
Help!,,, 
A couple of questions and looking for advice. I have a Caster/Camber tool and using it on a Legends car.
When setting Camber/Caster should the car have the driver or weighted when setting?
Are the final settings measured /checked with the car/wheel on the ground?
Should it be checked with the car on stands?  with weight off the wheel , without wheel?

I am looking for the right procedure for setting these, as the directions are not clear.

The process as I understand it and what I have done:
Car w/o driver -  Using gauge, I check and set the Camber and Caster with the car(and tire) on the ground.  Make my adjustments, then check again. So in final, I have set both Camber and Caster desired settings with car/tire on ground and w/o driver.   

Is this correct ot is there a better more acurate procedure?

My tire temps seem to be good across the tires doing this way.

Any advice?
Thanks, Roger

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
Re: Camber and Caster
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 03:44:35 pm »
Roger, your procedure sounds correct to me, all I would add is that the car must be on level ground when measuring.

I use a digital angle finder called a Smart Tool.  It is accurate to a tenth of a degree.  I take my camber readings off the brake rotor and the caster readings off the spindle upright.

Set the front end in this order 1. Caster  2. Camber  3. Toe

alabamalegends

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:59:16 pm »
Thanks a million, it's good to know that I'm in the ball park.  ;D

I was also setting the Camber first, then Caster,,, so thanks for the advise.
Roger

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 04:21:32 pm »
You will be suprised at how much a camber change can change toe.  I didn't expect it to be so much.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 06:06:11 pm »
Driver out is fine just remember camber affects caster.

Offline qweedqwag

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 11:13:51 pm »
Always read at the center of the bubble.
Camber is marked in 1/4° + and - .
Turn wheels 20° to R & L when setting caster.

Find a flat, level place to set up your front end.
Attach the gauge to the spindle. If you have a magnetic adapter, be sure that the surface you attach to is machined square to the spindle and doesn't have any nicks or burrs. With the thread-on type adapter be certain the spindle threads are free of burrs. Usually there are a few extra threads on the spindle. If not, you will need to remove the spindle nut and install the adapter in its place.
Rotate the gauge until the small vial at the end of the gauge shows level.
Read the camber directly on one of the two vials on either side of the gauge. Note that they are marked + and - . Read the line nearest to the center of the bubble. Each line is 1/4°.
To read caster first turn the wheels 20° out so that the front of the tire is farther from the car. If you don't have a set of turning plates you can use the angles machined on the corners of the gauge. Turn the wheels so that the angle near the adapter end is square with the side of the car and the angle at the other end is parallel to the side of the car. Rotate the gauge until it is level.
Turn the knurled knob in the center until the caster part of the gauge reads 0°. Now turn the wheels back to 20° the opposite way. Rotate the gauge again to level and read the caster on the center vial (read to the center of the bubble). Each line is 1/2°.
Adjust the caster and camber as needed. Each time you make a change bounce on the front end to settle the suspension. Remove the gauge and reinstall the spindle nut as needed.
Note: Adjusting the caster may have an effect on the camber and vice versa. Double check all your settings before finishing. Be sure to tighten all suspension bolts when done.

anything