Author Topic: Shock Question  (Read 6486 times)

Offline JayB

Shock Question
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:41:17 pm »
Hey guys, I've gotten a few laps in. So now I'm tinkering with the setup and I noticed something. My left rear spring has the Bilstein shock on the top. While the 3 other springs has it on the bottom. The car was delivered from INEX like this... So is this normal or needs any attention or changes. And does it affect performance in anyway. Because I don't know if this normal or just someone being careless.Thanks!

Jay Berrios Driver of the #25 Chevy Coupe             Follow me on twitter please @Jay_Berrios

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Shock Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 01:27:53 pm »
Mounting a shock upside down offers a couple advantages. First, it lowers unsprung weight of the suspension. Second, moving the shock body up higher moves the shock fluid away from the brake system, so it runs cooler. Three, ease of adjusting the shock. Doubtful that the unsprung weight is affected that much. Ease of adjusting the coilover unit likely plays a much more important role in how you want to mount the shock.

Most I have seen run the front shocks right side up and rear shocks upside down.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:21:58 pm »
Also, mounting shocks on front right side up allows for extra clearance for radius rods from steering box to steering arm on spindle. If mounted upside down on front, spring diameter is larger than shock itself and steering radius rods will contact springs at times which is not good. 
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline JayB

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:01:02 pm »
Thanks Guys! So its more of a preference thing. And I should order them in pairs. For example the LF and RF should be mounted the same while the Rear can be different from the front. I guess its odd they only made one different instead of both the rear springs.
Jay Berrios Driver of the #25 Chevy Coupe             Follow me on twitter please @Jay_Berrios

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 12:44:30 am »
Jay,

I would flip the right rear spring so that both rears are upside down. That should make it easier to adjust the rear springs.
Just my opinion.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline JayB

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:03:01 am »
Thanks for the input Steve. I'll make sure to flip the other one once I get springs next week.